Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What do I say to the GP? I need an MOT!

(8 Posts)
tigerdriverII Fri 24-Jul-15 00:05:51

I'd really like to know how others deal with this. I am on ADs so visit my GP every couple of months. However, I've lots of small things to sort out:
- very hairy chin and top lip
- blocked ears (earplugs make DHs snoring bearable but my hearing has deteriorated since I've been using them)
- lots of moles, I would like them looked at
- painful swollen thumbs
- according to Dr Google I have a rectocele
- and piles, the glamour
- have had cervical polyps. So need that checked too
- one knee is a bit dodgy
- bunions
- very fungal toenails
- build up of dead skin making feet sore

I'm 53, well presented, overweight but reasonably active. FFS, I know none of these things are remotely serious or important but I do feel I'm falling apart.

I don't feel I can take up hours of the GPs time over trivia. But I do want to fix these things.

Rant over!

gamerchick Fri 24-Jul-15 00:09:17

Make an appointment with the nurse instead for an mot and chat.

Tbh though there are a few things on your list you could help yourself with.. All you need is the know how.

Wolfiefan Fri 24-Jul-15 00:09:36

Perhaps decide which of these things you can deal with yourself?
Facial hair I would pluck
Piles and toenails over the counter?
Feet try a chiropodist, footner or file/similar and cream?

tigerdriverII Fri 24-Jul-15 00:18:31

Thank you both. Nurse is a good idea. And yes, I know I should be able to sort some of these things. I do feel a bit daunted- it's all rather crept up on me!

BackforGood Fri 24-Jul-15 00:22:29

Here is information about getting an MOT, but it is more to do with indicators about serious conditions.

I think your list will vary surgery to surgery, but at mine, you could make an appt with the Nurse to see what she can help you with, and then reduce the list for the GP at a later date. Might even be able to ask for a double appt if you don't need it too urgently.

CalmYoBadSelf Fri 24-Jul-15 00:34:46

I would agree with sorting out what you can for yourself. The NHS cannot be responsible for all this

Hairy chin and lip - pluck, wax or thread
Blocked ears - your earplugs are compacting your earwax and allowing it to build up rather than work its way out, stop using them, try another type, divorce grin etc
Piles - try over the counter remedies first like Anusol, Preparation H, etc. Your pharmacist can advise which product according to your symptoms
Skin on feet - Soak, file and moisturise regularly or go for a pedicure or chiropody treatment then you just have to keep it up.

I can't believe you would think of asking a GP to solve such minor and cosmetic problems!

tigerdriverII Fri 24-Jul-15 08:20:09

Thanks again for the suggestions. Should have made it clear, I have no intention of asking the GP to sort out my hairy chin etc: I quite agree that's not what the NHS is for!

I guess it's just that all these minor things have crept up on me (along with the greying hair, Denis Healey stylee eyebrows etc).

gamerchick Fri 24-Jul-15 08:22:33

Well start at the top and work your way down. Hair in most places is easily sorted out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: