Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there anything I can do about a massive hot and throbbing bruise?

(17 Posts)
prepperpig Fri 03-Jul-15 20:21:24

I very stupidly fell through a chair earlier resulting in an enormous bruise on my thigh. It is dark purple and a bit larger than my fist but it is throbbing and very hot and spongey to touch. Is there anything I can do to minimise the bruising and pain or will it just do its thing?

SycamoreMum Fri 03-Jul-15 20:42:47

Arnica is good. And a tea towel with ice to help ease throbbing.

HirplesWithHaggis Fri 03-Jul-15 20:44:53

Yep, arnica herbal cream, not homeopathic pills, is amazing.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 03-Jul-15 20:46:43

Like the others say, arnica and an ice pack

TheBreeze Fri 03-Jul-15 20:55:45

I'd put some ice on it wrapped in a towel but don't worry if it lasts ages and develops a lump under the skin, mine did when I bruised my thigh badly a few months ago. At the moment I'm nursing a sprained foot which is bruised and swollen from about ten days ago, I feel your pain and hope it stops hurting soon.

snowaccidentprone Fri 03-Jul-15 21:02:21

If you have any comfrey, then the leaves are good for putting on the bruises. Wrap a bandage on to keep them in place.

Or an ice pack to bring the swelling down.

AMcoffeeLover Fri 03-Jul-15 22:24:33

I've, arnica and calendula.

prepperpig Sat 04-Jul-15 00:15:55

Its not throbbing quite as much now but is still hot when I take the ice off.

Not attractive

TigerFeat Sat 04-Jul-15 00:20:17

Witch hazel is very good for bruises.

prepperpig Sat 04-Jul-15 00:25:40

Unfortunately I've realised that most of the stuff in our medicine box is completely out of date. I've taken some arnica orally but have no cream and no witch hazel either.

I am going to sort out the medicine box over the weekend so some good has come from it at least!

EmNetta Sat 04-Jul-15 16:59:59

I've used most of the items mentioned here, but the best one was Biofreeze, which I had for something else. Most pains are frozen away almost immediately, and bruises much improved, probably due to herbal ingredient (S.American Holly). I find roll-on is easiest, no side-effects AFAIK, nearly £10 but worth having in home medicine kit.

FabULouse Sat 04-Jul-15 17:47:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

prepperpig Sat 04-Jul-15 20:16:59

Completely black and about the size of a fried egg. Its raised too so I basically have a large black lump on the side of my leg.

TheBreeze Sat 04-Jul-15 20:40:06

Yes, mine was like a fried egg, the lump was a similar size to the yolk, black took about a month to go completely, though it had faded a lot after couple of weeks but lump took 2 months to go down. It was halfway down my thigh. Hopefully yours will go a bit quicker.

FabULouse Sat 04-Jul-15 20:55:49

prepperpig Sat 04-Jul-15 20:56:57

Oh blimey, how will I know if it's infected?

FabULouse Sat 04-Jul-15 21:03:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now