Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Brown marks developing in the corners of my mouth. Could this be a health problem or is it just a style and beauty priblem?

(16 Posts)
mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:17:38

Pretty much as the title says. I am 43 and suspect it is probably a symptom of ageing.

Does anybody know?

mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:18:26

Priblem? Wtf?

Mrsmorton Sat 27-Jun-15 18:23:34

Are you on the pill?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 27-Jun-15 18:24:37

Aren't you a doctor, mawbroon?!

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 27-Jun-15 18:25:10

Or am I confusing you with another poster with a similar name? Apologies, if so! blush

ShootTheMoon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:26:50

Could it be angular cheilitis? I had this and it was horrible, but it only appeared when I got braces and disappeared when they were taken off.

mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:29:26

No, not on the pill or any other contraception.

Definitely not a doctor lol

Off to google angular chelitis...... Back in a mo

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 27-Jun-15 18:30:47

Is it discolouration like melasma (not saying that is what is it, just is that the sort of thing it looks like?). Is it raised? Sore? Itchy?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 27-Jun-15 18:31:56

Sorry about getting you muddled up with another poster. What a plum

mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:37:15

Hey, no worries Squeezy.

Ok, definitely not angular whatsit. There are no lesions.

It is not raised or sore or anything. Just small patches which were not there before.

I am on some psychiatric drugs, but neither of the patient info leaflets mention this as a side effect

mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:37:56

I am trying to take a photo but they are not turning out very well!

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 27-Jun-15 18:43:57

It's probably just hyper pigmentation as a result of ageing, as you suspect. Is it like the corners of your mouth (where your lips meet) are darkening? If there is any dryness or tiny cracks it could be the beginnings of peri oral dermatitis?

mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 18:47:16

Yes, exactly that. The corners of my mouth are darkening.

No other symptoms like cracks or dry skin

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 27-Jun-15 18:55:12

Are you finding any other parts of your skin on your face / body is changing Any other patches of deepening pigmentation? The outer corners of your eyes or around your nostrils? Seems odd that just your mouth should darken and not other facial 'creases'.

mawbroon Sat 27-Jun-15 19:09:36

No, I haven't noticed it anywhere else.

I have to go to work now, so I am not ignoring any further responses!

Mrsmorton Sat 27-Jun-15 19:17:18

I get pigmentation around my mouth if I'm not absolutely 100% scrupulous about wearing SPF 25 every day of the year. It's more common if you're on the pill (which I'm not), not sure about ageing though, I'll have a look at my oral medicine text book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now