Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Liver enzymes high: ultrasound clear - what next?

(9 Posts)
FluffyCubs Wed 10-Jun-15 00:09:43

Hello, I posted here before concerning liver function test which were three times upper limit of normal. (aLt and ast enzymes - all others were fine, plus ok for blood sugar, thyroid)

I had a liver ultrasound this week and my innards are totally fine, no enlargement, no fatty liver, nothing at all with liver gallbladder kidneys etc.

But my liver had a faint ache to it, and I'd really like to know what else should be considered. I was so relieved about the U.S. and thought it was psychosomatic but it's still hurtin.

All thus came about as part of a test for Coeliac disease....plus I have severe psoriasis and have had it for five years now. What should be considered next?

millymae Wed 10-Jun-15 21:03:33

Not sure if my story will be of any help but it may stop you worrying a little.

After a CT scan showed a healthy liver and a whole batter of tests could find nothing wrong with me elsewhere my Consultant reached the conclusion that my highly deranged liver enzymes (his words, not mine) were probably as a result of a past infection, and would right themselves eventually. He asked my GP to keep a watchful eye on things, and as a result I had blood tests every couple of months. Things improved slowly and after 18 months my liver enzymes had returned to more normal levels although not quite within the standard range and my GP could see no point in further testing as I was generally well. I can't recall ever having any discomfort in the area of liver but I did initially lose lots of weight, looked awful and was certainly tired and lethargic for several months.

Fast forward 5 years or so and I was back at the hospital for a totally unrelated condition which required blood tests. All were within normal range apart from my liver enzymes which my Consultant didn't bother investigating further as he said they were moreorless as they were previously and were therefore normal for me!

Elibean Thu 11-Jun-15 12:27:19

Just in case the medics didn't think to do it (they should have, and would imagine they did, but): make sure you've been tested for hepatitises. Especially Hepatitis C (HCV). Its curable, but needs to be spotted and treated.

kronenborg Thu 11-Jun-15 12:54:05

was your bilirubin normal?
what meds are you taking?
how much (if any) alcohol do you consume?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Thu 11-Jun-15 13:07:05

Has anyone mentioned Gilbert's syndrome?
It involves abnormal LFTs in an otherwise healthy person. It is essentially that their "normal" LFTs are different to everyone else's. I have it & other than looking a bit yellow when I am ill / pale I'd never know

kronenborg Thu 11-Jun-15 14:24:48

gilbert's is normally characterised by raised bilirubin, rather than transaminases - doesnt sound like that is the issue here.

common things are common - so first things to rule out would be medication, drugs and infection.

FluffyCubs Fri 12-Jun-15 10:22:48

I don't really drink that much, probably a glass of wine a week, averaged out. Taking Prozac.

I was tested for Lupus a couple of years ago .... MY ANA levels were 1:640 homogenoous which is indicative of Scleroderma but DSDNA antibodies came in at 6.9 which discounted that, thankfully.

Can psoriasis cause high enymes? I'vee asked GP to test me again for ANA. I do think these results all point to autoimmune issues, just not sure if I have something else as well.

FluffyCubs Fri 12-Jun-15 10:26:14

Millymae, can I just ask which liver enzymes were deranged?
Elibean - Ive had hepatitis before following glandular fever...I couldn't drink for a year. This doesn't feel like it. For a start im freezing as usual!!

Kronenbourg - Ive posted my results.

kronenborg Mon 15-Jun-15 08:55:44

prozac can cause raised liver enzymes of the pattern you have - it is not common, but a known side effect...usually occurring in the first few months of treatment.

i have not heard of psoriasis per se causing LFT rises, however many of the meds used to treat psoriasis certainly can...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now