Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy, any one had one?

(5 Posts)
AtSea1979 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:09:26

Found out I need one, it's booked for end of June. Removal of womb and ovaries. Will need HRT for next 15+ years. They are going to do it lapascopically (?sp) so 3 cuts. They will cut along my c section scar if they need to open me up.
Scared and sad. Don't want more DC but its so very final.

KurriKurri Thu 13-Mar-14 19:07:44

I had one when I was 38 (16 years ago) and I felt much as you do, there's a difference between deciding you don't want more DC, and having that decision forced on you IYSWIM. And I did feel sad about it. I was possibly in a slightly easier position than you in that mine was an emergency and I was very ill, and it was relief to start feeling physically better again afterwards.

Obviously you have been having problems of some kind for a hysterectomy to be necessary - and you will feel so much better in that respect afterwards, but feeling sad is normal - its a big thing, and you need to allow yourself time to acknowledge your sadness and your feelings.

As regards the operation itself - mine was done through abdominal surgery on top of another scar, I was in hospital about five days and it was about another three weeks before I felt reasonably human again. I ended up taking three months off work - but my job at the time involved heavy lifting, if you have a sedentary job you'll be able to go back quicker than that.If you are a SAHM to little ones, you'll need to be very careful not to lift children if you can help it, and be careful pushing a buggy. You won't be able to drive for a while either. Even though hopefully yours will be done laparoscopally, it is a big op however they do it so a longish recovery time.

I don't have any experience of HRT - they left one of my ovaries in so I didn't need it - but someone else will probably be able to tell you about that.

I hope it all goes well for you, - I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can, take care smile

AtSea1979 Thu 13-Mar-14 21:53:47

Thank you for that insight. My job is hard work so I envisage a couple of months off.
Was there any unexpected side effects?

KurriKurri Thu 13-Mar-14 22:54:06

Nothing too unexpected,- I did put on a bit of weight afterwards,- but I don't think that happens to everyone, and if you know its a possibility you can keep it under control more easily.

AtSea1979 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:45:19

Oh no! I'm already trying to lose a bit before the op, not hugely over weight but my size usual size 10 has crept up to 14 so must try hard to get it back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now