Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colonoscopy on Monday - any doctors or those in the know?

(9 Posts)
GimmeDaBoobehz Tue 25-Feb-14 20:11:28

I have to stick to this restricted diet and understand most of it. But I was wondering if I am allowed to eat tuna, onion and mushrooms as it doesn't seem to cover it on my list?

Also, is garlic OK?

If all of these are no go I might as well hibernate for the next 5 days!

As if it's not bad enough I'll be shitting through the eye of a needle all Sunday night on this Picolax...

isitreallynearlychristmas Tue 25-Feb-14 22:43:19

It's a while since I had one but I thought youhad to only eat white food the day before - chicken,rice, white toast, no dairy er that's about it! Do you have a diet plan to follow from now? If it is the white diet you're supposed to have I don't think you can have any veg either.

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Tue 25-Feb-14 22:48:44

I had one of these a few weeks ago. The low fibre was by far the worst thing about it - so boring, bland and fattening. Afaik all tasty things like onion, garlic etc are forbidden.

On the upside, the Picolax experience wasn't as awful as I was expecting.

GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 26-Feb-14 11:40:10

Can I have chocolate?
Why is it 5 days now not 2 anyway?

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Wed 26-Feb-14 16:02:06

It must vary from place to place - mine was only 3 days.

Chocolate is fine as long as it doesn't have stuff like fruit or nuts in it. Basically, think of the shittiest, blandest diet you can imagine, then eat that. Butter, cream, smooth ice cream, yoghurt; white carbs; crisps; marmite; chocolate; apples and bananas. That's what I ate.

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Wed 26-Feb-14 16:03:04

Booze is also fine wink

I must have gained half a stone that week...

tallulah Wed 26-Feb-14 17:34:35

It was 5 days when I last had one, then fasting completely from the day before.

MoreBeta Wed 26-Feb-14 17:38:29

Picolax. DO NOT go more than 4 metres from the toilet once it kicks in.

The colonoscopy really is not as bad as the diet and the Picolax. You will feel very cleansed and quite floaty afterwards.

Hattie23 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:48:10

4 days for me.
No veg and i would say no to tuna as well.
I lived on chicken, spuds (no skin), cheese and white toast.
My report said "good bowel prep" so all seemed to be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now