Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wish you could go to a&e for period pain :(

(19 Posts)
Musicaltheatremum Tue 10-Dec-13 20:08:13

Don't take mefanamic acid and ibuprofen. They are both the same class of drug so off no benefit but increase side effects and risk of gastric bleeding. Do add one of them to paracetamol and codeine though.

Iheartcrunchiebars Tue 10-Dec-13 07:28:10

You poor thing. Just given birth and I found childbirth the same as period pain. I think doctors would be a lot more sympathetic if they realised that.

Definitely ask for codeine to combine with m acid. It doesn't cure it but makes it more manageable. I wish they'd prescribe gas and air!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 10-Dec-13 07:14:08

Can sympathise and relate to this also. All your current symptoms are very indicative of endometriosis being present.

If GP is no use (some of them are completely useless when it comes to suspected endometriosis and never even think of it as a possible cause), see another GP within the practice or better still change GP practice. Levels of pain like this are patently not normal. "Mild" endometriosis can cause such levels of pain, it is only when the disease becomes chronic that pain actually seems to lessen somewhat.

I would ask the GP for an urgent based referral to a gynae and do not take no for an answer. No point really going to A & E; they certainly have their place but they are not always of much help when it comes to gynaecological problems. The best thing they could do for you there is to refer you immediately to the gynae ward.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 10-Dec-13 07:02:30

Not much help, but even if your pain is only at the front, a hot water bottle or wheat bag both front and back is better than just front. I really feel for you, I've been there.

msmoss Tue 10-Dec-13 00:51:42

I went to A&E with bad period pain, it was the third month in a row of diblitating pain but no period. I had been to my GP but they were clueless. It was getting worse each month and painkillers just weren't helping. Ended up with a quick gynae referral that sorted things out on the first appointment, I'd have been in pain for at least two or three more months waiting for GP along with not knowing what was wrong.

If it was anything else causing you this much pain with unknown cause what would you do?

Of course in an ideal world all GPs would take these things much more seriously in the first place.

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 09-Dec-13 21:35:27

Oh I didn't realise that I could take ibuprofen too. Will def try that then. Tbh I'd try just about anything right now.

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 09-Dec-13 21:33:19

Unfortunatly my dd1 also suffers badly and has just gone on the pill to try and help hers.

You'd think in this day and age there would be a way to stop it for good.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Mon 09-Dec-13 21:32:04

OP you can take ibuprofen and codiene as well as mefenemic acid and paracetamol. That's what my GP told me to do when it's really bad.

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 09-Dec-13 21:31:35

Thanks. I am going to keep my appointment tomorrow and see if my gp being able to see me in such pain will make any difference.

I'll also ask about other medications.

Might get in the bath in a mo, see if that helps.

I've had 3 c-sections and been in morphine afterwards even though my pain was nowhere near as bad as this.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Mon 09-Dec-13 21:25:22

Hello, I was the same as 8Freddie* above, from being about 10 years old.
When I was about 14 I was prescribed Ponstan Forte, they were terribly huge tablets but did the trick.
Go see your gp, there must be something you can take, and huge sympathy I know the pain well.

FreddieStarrAteMyHamster Mon 09-Dec-13 21:22:17

Hey you can and should go if pain gets unbearable. In my younger days I used to turn green with pain and vomit. I found childbirth less painful than my monthly period. In A&E I got given buscopan im and pethidine. Nowadays I take a prescription medication called Froben and haven't had the pain for years.

Matildathecat Mon 09-Dec-13 21:17:46

Please insist on a gynae referral. It's not normal to suffer such extreme pain. And a prescription for a codeine based analgesic.

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 09-Dec-13 21:10:46

Thanks Bertie I'll get some of that tomorrow.

Wishing I hadn't chucked DD's oramorph out now.

I've tucked a hot wheat bag in the waistband of my pj's. It's distracting me from the pain a bit if nothing else.

bertieboo Mon 09-Dec-13 21:07:07

Try solpadine soluble. It has paracetamol & codeine and it works very fast. The only problem with taking it when you have young children is that the codeine can make you feel a bit spaced out.
Am due on Saturday and already dreading it! Hope you wake up feeling better.

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 09-Dec-13 20:59:43

Argh just typed long post and lost it.

I've been taking menefamic acid and paracetamol since yesterday but they don't work.
My go thinks painful periods are normal and just offered me an internal which is booked for tomorrow but I won't be able to have it now.

I'd bet my life on me having endo and possibly a cyst as I also get mid cycle pain that requires medication too.

Can't really go to a&e anyway cos of the kids

thefuturesnotourstosee Mon 09-Dec-13 20:50:20

I agree if its that bad then go. You are in severe debilitating pain and they may be able to help.

Better still though, I'd try phoning your out of hours service to see if you can get a booked appointment tonight. It may be better than spending hours sitting in a waiting room whilst feeling utterly miserable.

I'm lucky enough not to suffer but my poor sister does dreafully and I know how miserable it makes her.

Really hope it calms down in a bit

bertieboo Mon 09-Dec-13 20:45:05

Nutcracker, I also suffer from horrific period pains. Unless you experience it it's hard for most people to comprehend (or sympathise).
Luckily I found an amazing Gynae who succinctly described it as a monthly "heart attack" (same cramping and levels of pain apparently).
My pains are due to severe endometriosis and now I take a cocktail of pain medication to manage it. Codeine and mefenamic acid being the main two!
I also have weekly acupuncture sessions and they definitely help. Being in London, I'm fortunate that I have the amazing Emma Cannon on my doorstep.
My DH is incredibly sympathetic and often holds my hair when I'm being sick from the pain, and will refills my hot water bottle as often as I ask.
Am praying with all my heart my DD doesn't suffer like I do when she is older.
If the pain is so bad you need to attend A&E then go! They will give you the medication to manage the pain, then get yourself to your GP and discuss ongoing pain management.
Good luck, and don't suffer in silence.

Matildathecat Mon 09-Dec-13 20:37:20

Poor you. Maybe not A&E but def GP tomorrow. Very hot hottie and keep up the painkillers until then..what meds do you have?

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 09-Dec-13 20:29:29

Cos nothing I take or do is making any difference and I can't stand it anymore hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now