Talk

Advanced search

Living With Adhesions - Support Group

(54 Posts)
JohFlow Sun 14-Jul-13 17:45:35

Anyone out there living with internal adhesions post - surgery?

I have had extensive adhesions for three years following surgery and later 'keyhole' adhesion seperation. Adhesions seem to be almost a 'hidden' disease despite being so common. There are few avenues to follow for long-term and effective pain relief/remedy. We may look 'normal' on the outside; yet experience extra challenges on a daily basis.

Please share your stories or views on the subject. Hopefully we can support each other.

OP’s posts: |
Ang111 Tue 01-Jan-19 06:19:05

Hi. I had colorectal surgery 4 years ago and was admitted to hospital with stomach pain, nausea, vomiting. They took an xray and said there seamed to be some obstruction which they thouymay be due to adhesions. 3 days later with no food i feel better and my body is getting back to normal. I wanted to find out if it was something i could avoid by changing my diet. But can’t seem to find any advice. Is it a case of just keeping my fingers crossed or can i do anything to prevent future episodes? It sounds like sugery is the only answer...

Jellyjumpers Tue 01-Jan-19 21:38:37

Resting the digestive system may help

SouthBend232 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:41:47

I am 37 and have three C-sections and now have had two surgeries to try and cut the adhesions away one laparoscopic surgery and a hysterectomy to remove my uterus that was mended by adhesions to my abdominal wall. My doctor has now given me Gabapentin to try and suggest a local nerve block shot in my stomach. I use caster oil pack treatments and cbd. Every day is different sometimes the adhesions burn so bad I can put on cloths to leave the house and even my underwear hurt laying on my stomach.

sallins Sat 13-Jul-19 01:48:10

I found the hardest thing was persuading the medical profession that I had problems. I have now found a good surgeon and have just gone through my second adhesion operation. The first one was bad enough (the adhesions were pushing my organs upwards towards the lungs). This last operation the surgeon was so shocked he took photos, he found a condensed mass of them covering the bowels (which were twisted) and also the adhesions were stopping the blood supply to the liver. The surgeon says he will listen to me in future! I was going down hill quite rapidly before he operated with weight loss and pain. I don't think it is highlighted enough how dangerous adhesion actually are.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in