Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

5 in 1 jabs... alternatives?

(17 Posts)
TheFlameWhoWasAfraidOfTheDark Tue 23-May-06 15:13:10

Is it possible to get them more seperated? I keep putting the things off... I want to get him vaccinated, but this 5 in 1 thing is really bugging me. Is it possible to get the old style type privately or something?

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 15:16:26

probably .. you can usually pay for these things

but make sure its DTaP not DTwP

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 23-May-06 15:16:53

As far as I know no, because the old jabs containe thimerosal. I would like ds2 and ds3 to a have single tetanus jab, but haven't managed to find anything yet that is licenced for the under 11s.

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 15:16:53

it will be phenomenally expensive (don't forget there's 3 lots)

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 23-May-06 15:17:45

The old single tetanus jab that is. Don;t know if you can get DTaP but I don't want the kids having P so that's out anyway.

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 15:17:53

I bow to jimjams superior knowledge on this .. I haven't tried to source them .. was lucky in my timing with DD and got them seperated before the 5 in 1 came in

SaintGeorge Tue 23-May-06 15:20:54

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads on a .... vax thread!

Tsk

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 15:27:40

NO WAY I'd want them to have the old style one, it's got mercury in it.

SoupDragon Tue 23-May-06 15:31:55

Is the 5-in-1 any more vaccines than they would have had under the old style? Isn't it the "old" DPT plus polio and, er, Hib? If so, what is the bonus of having the "old" version (excl the mercury part that is).

SoupDragon Tue 23-May-06 15:32:26

I'm woefully ill informed given that BabyDragon had her 2nd set yesterday

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 18:33:18

its not the old DTP its DTP without thimerosal (mercury) as a preservative .. so in my view is better plus the 2 others

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 23-May-06 19:19:22

Flame Dragon wants to separate them SD, so give them singly with gaps. They did something similar in the old days. They gave polio separately from the dtp, and of course there was no hib or men C. They used to spend about the entire first year getting the dtp and polio jabs into you. When MMR was introduced they changed the earlier jabs and gave the dtp+polio at 8, 12 and 16 weeks.

SG- no problem with this sort of stuff. If anyone starts having a go about me being selfish etyc etc, I will no longer post anything except a link to that short film about autism, so maybe then people will understand what I'm so scared of. I tried to coose a name that reflected that, but I ran out of letters

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 19:44:45

and you're not supposed to swear

TheFlameWhoWasAfraidOfTheDark Tue 23-May-06 20:48:16

Its all so confusing Sounds madness, but all I know is that 3 years ago DD had jabs and was ok, now they are different jabs and I keep reading horror stories, and something in me is squirming up about them.

How is it that I did MMR with relatively no worrying, but this, which is much less publicised is making me hide in a corner?!?!

I'll look up private stuff and prices etc and go from there.

Thankyou for all the replies.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 23-May-06 21:39:51

If you come across single tetanus please let me know Flame (actually would be grateful if you let me know whatever you find out). Apparently my surgery would be willing to give ds2 and ds3 single tetanus but I'm not sure it exists.

Caligula Tue 23-May-06 21:57:41

Oh yes please, please let us know about single tetanus.

And the single measles - does anyone know if it has thimerasol?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 23-May-06 21:58:11

It's fine, no thimerosal in single M M and R or the MMR.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: