Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

going to see the doctor tonight about my heavy periods, dont know what to expect.

(13 Posts)
ditavonteesed Mon 11-Mar-13 16:43:36

I think I am going to try the minera coil, I have an appointment with the doctor that fits them in 2 weeks, but I presume it will be a while after that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 11-Mar-13 14:57:12

They should not laugh at you but take you seriously.

Unfortunately some GPs are not all that great when it comes to such issues and are more happy to just treat the symptoms; if GP is unsure then ask at that stage for a referral to a gynae.

You need to find out WHY this is happening, not just treat the symptoms.

I have had more gynae appts than I care to mention, please do not put up with this indefinately and seek proper answers. I can tell you categorically that the fear of seeing a specialist is far worse than the reality.

MrsSlocombesPussy Mon 11-Mar-13 13:13:21

You might also have a blood test to check for anaemia.

fubbsy Mon 11-Mar-13 13:13:03

If it seems scary, then don't ask for the gynae referral. Just try the tranexamic acid or mefanamic acid or whatever the gp advises. FWIW I have been diagosed in the past with polycystic ovaries and with fibroids (and migraines) and the tranexamic acid still works for me.

ditavonteesed Mon 11-Mar-13 12:21:15

am 38, I last had a scan when I was 28 before I had the kids, found polycystic ovaries although I have never had any symptoms, I find gynea stuff a bit scary which is probably why I have put it off for so long.

scaevola Mon 11-Mar-13 12:15:55

How old are you? It might be worth asking for a gynae referral, so they can check for conditions such as fibroids, endometriosis or adenomyosis.

fubbsy Mon 11-Mar-13 12:04:34

Definitely not something to laugh about. My GP was very sympathetic. I was given a prescription for tranexamic acid and it did the trick for me.

ditavonteesed Mon 11-Mar-13 12:03:23

just googling and it does sound that way. smile

coffeeinbed Mon 11-Mar-13 11:56:49

Sorry, that's what I was told.
Safe-er than the pill.
I'm not medically trained, so I might be wrong.

ditavonteesed Mon 11-Mar-13 11:50:45

thanks, that doesnt sound too bad. I didnt know the Minera was xconsdiered safe. that is really interesting.

coffeeinbed Mon 11-Mar-13 11:27:41

No, you don't have to put up with this.
Hopefully GP will refer for a scan to see/rule out fibroids.
You might be offered Mirena, it's considered safer than the pill in case of high BP and migraines.
Also, Tranexamic acid - another option, ask what GP thinks about to.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 11-Mar-13 11:27:15

They'll probably get you to try mefanamic or tranexamic acid.

Hope it helps - it's miserable isn't it?

ditavonteesed Mon 11-Mar-13 11:23:11

Are they just likely to laugh at me, I have put up for years but decided to see if there is anything the doc can do, will there be, what sort of options do you thinkthey will offer? I have never been able to have any hornal treatment due to migraines and blood pressure issues. I dont really know what to say to her, it seems like a drama llama thing to go and see doc about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now