Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Increase in libido - is it my thryoid?

(7 Posts)
whatsfordinnertonight Tue 23-Oct-12 08:33:02

I've been trying to understand why I am having palpitations, wondering if I have thyroid or parathyroid problems. One of my symptoms is an increase in libido, such that I can sometimes feel uncomfortble - has anyone else got this?

Walnutcakelover Tue 23-Oct-12 16:15:29

I had hyperthyroidism 14 months ago, but I never had an increase in libido, if anything it was decreased.

digerd Tue 23-Oct-12 17:32:15

I had an overactive Thyroid years ago, but have never forgotten my symptoms. It does create havoc with all your hormones, and can stop periods, therefore in theory could affect your libido. But I don't remember having that myself, as I was very ill. The main/first symptom that is noticable is a loss of weight, then lots of others follow. But not everyone has the same symptoms. Mine were text book. Including palpitations, but they occurred in its advanced stage, when I looked skeletal but couldn't stop eating. An unusual increase in libido does sound hormonal, but the palpitations I would be concerned about

digerd Tue 23-Oct-12 17:34:01

A Blood Test for Thyroid function will easily determine a problem or not.

whatsfordinnertonight Tue 23-Oct-12 18:24:41

Has nobody else had this feeling?

ponybaloney Wed 24-Oct-12 22:47:27

Yes, I have, if I am over-replaced with thyroxine.

whatsfordinnertonight Thu 25-Oct-12 08:28:17

Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe I shoud have given a different title to this, maybe it is nothing to do with my thyroid, but I can't help feeling that there is something wrong with my endocrine system giving me palpitations, light headed feelings at times, and that this is also related. I am waiting to see a cardiologist as a first step.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now