Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How do you go about finding a Nutrionist/Homeopath

(7 Posts)
Lulu40 Tue 27-Nov-01 09:40:36

When clicking on the Ask the Expert I get an error message so I thought I would ask if anybody out there knows the answer. I would like to consult a nutrionist/homeopath and I would also like to find out what a non-classical homepath is? My ds is having behaviour problems and I thought I would like to go down the food/allergies route to see if there is anything obvious - any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Also if anybody knows about testing for lead in the system and how you go about having this done? Thanks in advance if anybody knows the answers.

Wendym Tue 27-Nov-01 13:32:43

I can answer the question about lead - you ask your gp to take a blood sample and send to the local hospital. There are places that offer hair testing (Surrey University, I think?) but its not generally considered reliable. You may find your doctor is reluctant to do it unless there is evidence of lead in your home as it is distressing for a young child to have blood taken. B&Q sell a kit to test your paint (was £3.50 when I bought one). The water authority will test your water supply free but it takes ages and a lot of nagging. Water filters extract some lead if you're concerned. The local private hospital would have analysed blood for me at about £40 if my gp hadn't offered to do it free.

Your local library or health food store may have an allergy book. Has your gp suggested talking to an NHS dietician? If you keep a food diary it may suggest a link to a particular food.

Green Tue 27-Nov-01 13:33:47

to find a homeopath you can contact the society for homeopaths - maybe someone else has the number - unfortunately i don't - sorry - maybe search on the web? they will have a list and numbers of practitioners in your area.

with regards to testing for lead in the system (or other toxins) the best way to do it is to have a hair mineral analysis done. You have to cut some hair off your head and send it in to a lab and they will test for various minerals and also toxins. Best to do it via a nutritionist though as they will interpret the results for you - otherwise you are kind of left with a graph you won't necessarily understand how to interpret - nor will you necessarily know what to do about it once you know what your profile says. ie. detoxification of toxins is a process that needs very careful supervision.

to find a nutritionist in your area you could call the Institute for Optimum Nutrition. Are you in London? If so, then the college where i am training to be a nutritionist holds student clinics where you can get a really reduced rate on the condition that a student sits in on your consultation - BCNH - UK College of Nutrition and Health, London, NW6.

Green Tue 27-Nov-01 13:37:18

oh, just read Wendym's posting after having posted mine. Hair mineral analysis is very reliable - recent criticisms of it in the scientific press have been discounted due to their inclusion in the study of an unregulated and unregistered lab. If you use a reliable lab, then far better than a blood test as will look at storage of lead in the body over a recent period rather than what is circulating in the blood. THe body is very efficient at removing harmful chemicals from the blood and storing them in body tissues- most especially in fat.

Lulu40 Tue 27-Nov-01 13:55:16

My GP has referred us to a child psychologist at my own request but when I asked about food etc maybe causing the problem his reply was "only if he has ADHD" very matter of fact about everything - I think he has lost all real interest in his patients after years in a South East London practice !! Thanks for your tips. Your college sounds a good place to start as I havent got a clue about all this stuff

Tlb Tue 27-Nov-01 16:12:49

homeopathic website

Emmakate Tue 27-Nov-01 20:40:48

A non-classical homoeopath (or practical homoeopath as they are sometimes known)differs from a classical homoeopath in that they may use numerous prescribing methods and/or multiple remedies to treat symptoms as opposed to the classical homoeopaths who will use 1 remedy at a time in accordance with the founder of homoeopathy Hahnemann.
Given the toxins and levels of sickness today practical homoeopathy in my experience is essential as the classicals are too set in the history books - homoeopathy is continuing to evolve just like conventional medicine.
Check out
Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: