Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much hair loss is normal?

(4 Posts)
ButterAndPie Tue 04-Oct-11 13:45:48

Whenever i brush or wash my hair, a small handful comes away - about an eggcup full of 30cm long hair. I don't remember this much coming out before.

My youngest child is 2, and it is nearly a year since I stopped bf her.

At what point would you be concerned, and if you were, what would you do?

AMumInScotland Tue 04-Oct-11 13:58:35

I lost quite a bit when I had DS, but it sounds odd if this has started so long after you had her and stopped bf. When it happened to me, the doc said the important thing was that you could see new short hairs growing in at the base - that meant it was just the hormonal thing and not anything else. So get someone to have a look and see if you have got short fluffy hairs coming in, or shiny hairless bits of scalp - if its hairless you definitely need to see the doc about it, it can be a nutrition thing so can be fixed if so.

blinks Tue 04-Oct-11 14:12:56

go to gp and they'll probably check your thyroid first

ButterAndPie Tue 04-Oct-11 14:15:26

I had my thyroid checked when I was in hospital about three months ago- had a full MOT, although the hair loss has started since then really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now