Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

No break between packets of the Pill ...

(7 Posts)
Millie1 Thu 04-Aug-11 16:26:59

Is it okay to do this on a regular basis? I started on Microgynon a few months back and ran two packets together whilst on holiday - bliss! How often can I do this, how many packets before I take a break and allow a bleed and is it bad for me?

Thanks!

nocake Thu 04-Aug-11 16:46:12

Yes. The reason the pill simulates a normal cycle is that it was originally designed as a "natural" contraceptive (whatever that means). The person who invented it was a Catholic and thought that if it didn't interfere with a woman's cycle the church would accept it. They didn't but it was still a huge success. There is more about him here.

The current recommendation is that you don't take more than 2 or 3 packs without a break, depending on the type of pill. However, I have been unable to find any studies or research indicating why the 2 or 3 pack limit.

steamedtreaclesponge Thu 04-Aug-11 16:47:43

I did this for years. My doctor said it was fine but recommended I have a period every few months - she didn't give a reason for it though.

ruddynorah Thu 04-Aug-11 16:48:37

I run them together so only have maybe 3 or 4 bleeds a year.

Sidge Thu 04-Aug-11 16:48:45

In theory you could do it indefinitely, but the more packets are run together the greater the likelihood of breakthrough bleeding.

Millie1 Thu 04-Aug-11 16:53:37

Thanks! Shall maybe stick to no more than 3 at a time! Guess the type of pill doesn't matter then?

Sidge Thu 04-Aug-11 17:03:44

No not really, but it's not really recommended to back-to-back a bi- or triphasic pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now