Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can I get a Wheelchair funded for my father, if so how?

(15 Posts)
clottedcream Sun 31-Jul-11 08:21:50

after several trips to the hospital with my Father (he has cancer) and it taking an age to find a wheelchair for him, one day took 45 mins to track one down I was thinking if I could get one for him.

Is it worth contacting his GP to see if I can get one funded do you think?

AuntieMonica Sun 31-Jul-11 08:34:13

would he use it at other times, or just for hospital visits?

you could try British Red Cross

for short-term loans, but yes, talk to his GP about mobility, also the hospital too.


Tinkerisdead Sun 31-Jul-11 08:36:20

My friend has a motorbike accident and we got his from the red cross and same with Dh's grandad. You pay a donation and keep the chair for as long as you need it I think. My friend certainly had his over a year.

ruddynorah Sun 31-Jul-11 08:40:21

Was he in the forces at any time? My grandad got a wheelchair and a scooter subsidised by the raf benevolent fund.

clottedcream Sun 31-Jul-11 08:45:21

we were at the hospital 3 times this week and it was so stressful leaving him whilst trying to find one, I had to go on a ward and borrow one!

I will try the red not in forces

clottedcream Sun 31-Jul-11 08:49:59

what kind/amount of donation do you think is adequate?

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 31-Jul-11 08:51:14

if you're up at the hospital again this week ask them, they should refer to occupational therapy or wheelchair services depending on how your pct works. Does he need and adaptations doing at home?

AuntieMonica Sun 31-Jul-11 08:53:59

the donation is simply that, whatever you feel comfortable with smile

clottedcream Sun 31-Jul-11 08:56:26

its all very new to us just been diagnosed with lung cancer and he struggles to walk, we are back there Tues and I just need to get something sorted permenantly to take away some of the stress.

Things that spring to mind are stair lift and shower installing that would help immensley...think we would not get this funded though, I supose I need to speak to the GP about this ... like I say not sure of the procedure

ruddynorah Sun 31-Jul-11 08:57:35

Yes occupational health can do assessment if needs warrant it. I thought op meant wheelchair not essential.

Kandinsky Sun 31-Jul-11 09:02:35

As he has cancer have you had any contact with the people from Macmillan? They were the most incredible people when my Dad was ill. He was given a wheelchair and adaptations for his house plus a disabled badge for the car and I think this was through the GP referral to adult care services. There are lots of things you should have access to and Macmillan are very helpful at sorting or at least putting you in the right direction. After Dad initially struggled in on the train to appointments at The Royal Free in London we found out he was entitled to free transport who would take him to the right department. It meant a long trip in a van but he said the drivers were always very sociable.

wonkylegs Sun 31-Jul-11 09:05:45

Both Macmillan Cancer Support & the disabled living foundation can help with advice and information on this and lots of other useful stuff.
Google them both, (sorry links are difficult on my phone) if you can't find what your looking for on the Macmillan site also offers a phone service for advice and support
Hope that helps

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 31-Jul-11 09:12:36

ask while you are there tuesday, the doctor there should refer to occupational therapy/health. Some units have their own advisors, ask if they have anything like that. Would second macmillan and if this is going to be ongoing consider applying through your local council for a blue badge.

hildathebuilder Sun 31-Jul-11 09:24:40

Hi. I am going through a lot of this with my MIL at the moment (rheaumatoid arthritis cannot walk at all gone down hill very rapidly). In order to get OT at his home get him on the social services list. In my case they said on Monday after MIL had stayed with us previous week that it would take 14-28 days for any help/assessment. we then got the GP out to do a home visit, and the gp chased social services. That helped and please get on the social services as soon as possible, then chase a lot. And never imply you can do anything/care etc as otherwise you father will never be a priority - and in these straightened times if you aren't a priority heaven help you. The first call I had said that they would allocate a social worker a week later, who wold call to tell me they couldn't do anything due to lack of staff, and would then think about the contingency plan given they couldn't do anything.

But after gp and our chasing on Thursday the personal care man came out and he then chased the OT who came on Friday.
She assessed my MIL as unable to live alone, BUT even that doesn't mean we can get things wheelchairs stair lifts etc sorted quickly. Instead she packed her off to us this weekend to care for (150 miles by taxi) (we have an infant with CP with his own issues and hosptial app on Monday for him which DH cannot now come to with me but hey ho..)

OT coming back Monday and we will see where we get to then.

Stair lift - OT/social services won't pay for. may be able to get disabled facilities grant. Takes weeks. MIL gets full pension credit and attendance allowance has no savings. Given this DH and I are paying for the stair lift and will be fitted a week later. if this wasn't happening OT would have moved her bed to her lounge rather than got any money for stuff. other aids they may help with. they don't pay for anything small though

Other mobility aids they may help with but quality is not that great and its slow. We found charities (red cross) and old peoples day centres often have advice. Hospitals can sometimes point you in the right direction. Most areas have mobility aids shops (yellow pages more useul to find them than google they don't always come up) and some of those will have second hand/charity stuff which is usually in good nick but you have to search through a bit). They also tend to lend you things to see if they are right before you have to pay for anything.

wonkylegs Sun 31-Jul-11 09:31:50

Sometimes going through the hospital for the OT support can be a quicker route. When I was referred by my consultant(I have RA, and post baby I got referred for special equipment to help look after DS) I got an appointment within days.
With all these things you will probably need to keep chasing and make a bit of a fuss or there is a chance you will get forgotten about (I think this is getting worse with the cuts)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: