Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Play fantasy kneecap injury

(10 Posts)
hiddenhome Fri 15-Jul-11 17:21:21

confused

I fell out of the backdoor last week in a frantic effort to escape for work. Went smackbang onto the flagstone that dh has make into a sort of doorstep.

Lay on my back like a beached whale yelling in pain for about a minute, then tried to get up. Sort of scrambled to my feet and examined my knee which had sustained a nice graze.

Went off to work, still shaking with the shock and managed to half heartedly dress the graze once I arrived at work.

The wound (about size of 50p piece) is healing slowly after initially appearing infected.

Trouble is, my knee is extremely painful and I can't kneel on it. I'm just living on painkillers and limping everywhere. It just hurts all the time.

What could I have done to it and will it get better without intervention?

MeriNisipPoissons Fri 15-Jul-11 19:13:02

Is it swollen?

You might have cracked the patella.

ginmakesitallok Fri 15-Jul-11 19:17:04

chipped or cracked patella? sore

hiddenhome Fri 15-Jul-11 22:03:39

No, it's not swollen which made me think that the patella is okay. It's just so darn painful though. I can't kneel down and bending the knee and walking is painful too.

MeriNisipPoissons Fri 15-Jul-11 22:57:12

soft tissue injury, takes a long recovery period - sorry.

hiddenhome Fri 15-Jul-11 23:07:10

<groan> I was worried it might.

SparkleRainbow Sun 17-Jul-11 10:16:30

They can take as long a bone breaks to heal. Hope you are feeling better soon. Rest it, but keep it moving too if you know what I mean, and put a hot water bottle on for 15 mins every day.

demolitionduo Sun 17-Jul-11 18:56:36

I had a similar fall to you- onto a concrete driveway. I too was grazed & sore but not that swollen & hobbled around for a few days though my knee felt weak.

It felt like it was improving when 3 days later I slipped on a small puddle of water in our conservatory. My knee gave way completely & ripped my kneecap in two. What went on afterwards was pretty grim & 2 years later following surgery & physio I am still very limited in movement and it remains really weak.

It turned out that my initial fall fractured the kneecap and if I'd got treatment then I'd have saved myself a whole lot of pain & total incapacity!
My advice, get it looked at, ideally x-rayed to rule out anything that might cause ongoing issues should you take another fall in its weakened state.

I hope it turns out just to be a soft tissue injury, but better safe than sorry!

wonkylegs Mon 18-Jul-11 23:08:44

Get it checked out but it could just be bruised. I fell onto a concrete floor and bruised everything Inc my knee , it took over a year to heal, bruised bone & ligaments. I also had a bursa which took only 3mths to heal with the help of anti inflams but I had to have an MRI to rule out no permanent damage

MeriNisipPoissons Wed 20-Jul-11 18:56:59

HiddenHome is it any better?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: