Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Plantar fasciitis - anyone know anything about this?

(22 Posts)
octopusinabox Fri 17-Dec-10 11:31:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pawsnclaws Fri 17-Dec-10 13:16:17

I had it some years ago, I found that stretching my feet (by pointing toes upwards) in bed for 10 minutes before I got up really helped. You can also freeze a polysterene cup of water and roll it under your foot if especially painful.

whoops Fri 17-Dec-10 13:29:04

When I saw the gp about this she printed off information from the internet and suggested I followed the exercises on there. I didn't really follow the exercises and carried on doing all the stuff I normally do, cycling, hockey etc and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem now.

Bearcat Fri 17-Dec-10 15:43:33

Had it about 10 years ago.
I had and have a job where I am on my feet all day and it was generally OK if I was moving around, but when I got out of bed in the mornings or off the sofa after sitting for a while my heel was agony.
After about a year it just totally disappeared and never came back.
I do tend to where slippers when walking around the house now, as I have a tiled cold hard kitchen floor and wondered once if it was coming back once due to the unforgiving nature of this floor.

octopusinabox Fri 17-Dec-10 16:46:08

brimfull Fri 17-Dec-10 17:01:04

I've had it a few times , had ultrasound as well as strapping and ice treatment , have tried loads even acupuncture but is now back , usually I can feel a little twinge of it if I do fast walking in unsupportive shoes like flipflops or crocs. I am a nurse and wear crocs at work and obv do a lot of walking , up until last week my feet were ok but now it's back.

I have swapped to better shoes.

I have heard that stretching the ligaments is the best way to help it.

I do it by standing on the stair and dropping my heel down to stretch the back iykwim

Cyb Fri 17-Dec-10 17:04:01

I had it a couple of summers ago, from wearing rip off Birkies-I felt it twinge again the other day, my boots are a bit big so my feet roll around inside them-its clearly crap shoes that spark it in me

yy to stretching calves,and pushing your heels away and flexing your toes up towards the ceiling when lying in bed.

I got orthotic insoles from Boots, now is the time of year to wear them as they fit inside any closed in shoe/boot/shoeboot

octopusinabox Fri 17-Dec-10 17:09:29

Cicatrice Fri 17-Dec-10 17:12:18

If you go to your GP you can be referred to a podiatrist who will then examine you and reccomend exercises and/or inserts for your shoes.

Helped a lot for me.

onmyfeet Sat 18-Dec-10 10:57:59

I have this, and just was referred for physio and to get orthopedic insoles made. I have been using soft cold gel packs when I go to bed,(I put them inside sicks and wear them pressing on the soles of my feet) and am feeling a lot better. Your friend shouldn't wear bare feet, or wear shoes that are hard soled. Have to have good support and shock absorbing type of shoes.
A person can wear CROCS if they can't afford the orthopedics, or footwear with soles made of foam rubber or crepe rubber.

I actually was diagnosed years ago, but with the proper footwear, it did go away. I am not sure why it has returned. Could be my old boots I have started to wear again.
Treatments etc can be found at this link.
www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/fo ot/plantarfaciitis.htm

onmyfeet Sat 18-Dec-10 10:58:44

"inside socks" not "sicks"

onimolap Sat 18-Dec-10 11:04:04

MIL had it: clearly Not Fun. No treatments seemed to make any real difference. Eventually it mysteriously went away by itself. I was left with the impression that the medics don't really understand this one, and they'll throw anything at it in the hope of symptomatic relief.

Niecie Sat 18-Dec-10 11:12:10

I didn't use arch supports, I had padded heals in my shoes that took the pressure off as recommended by the doctor - nothing fancy. It seemed to help. They do seem to go away by themselves and you just have to find ways of dealing with it. It was about a year for me to. Your friend is right though, it is worse after rest or even standing in the same spot for too long, anything that requires to muscles in the foot to start moving again.

DH had steriod injections into other joints (which is effectively what the heel thing is too as I understand it is where the bones coming down your leg meet with the horizontal bones of your foot and all the surrounding tendons become inflamed) He had no side effects. It is very unpleasant (you have to be lying down to avoid dizziness) for a few minutes whilist it is being done but they should use local anesthetic. It doesn't always work but he gets some relief.

FattyArbuckel Sat 18-Dec-10 11:18:20

My friend at work found the injection one of the worst things ever and says next time she would give it a miss - I'mnot sure how much relief she got from it though.

another friend - a runner - has had it for 6 months and done all the stretching exercises to no avail. He is really depressed about it.

blametheparents Sat 18-Dec-10 11:21:25

I bought a pair of fitflops and have found them fantastic in providing relief.
I have just bought a pair of fitflop boots so I can wear them through the winter, and they have def helped.

Bearcat Sat 18-Dec-10 16:09:14

A nurse friend of mine had her heels injeted under a general anaesthetic.
When I had it years ago my GP said I could have a steroid injection, but he wouldn't recommend it as its so painful.

newpup Sat 18-Dec-10 16:33:16

I had this last year- it was horrible! Every morning I hobbled around like an old granny! The pain! sad

My Gp recommended some soft arch supports but they really did not help at all. I did stretching excercises I found on the internet and they did help. It does sometimes return and I do the excercises and it subsides again!

AvonCallingBarksdale Sat 18-Dec-10 17:40:49

I've had it for 18 months but it's pretty much gone now. I swore by Fitflops and MBTs and the stretching exercises. Also lost 2.5 stone, which I'm sure helped. I've heard v bad things about the injection and it has a low success rate apparently. Unfortunately, I think it's a matter of sitting it out and waiting.

ezrida Sat 18-Dec-10 18:19:22

Hi
I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one maybe it will not work for the other. I have found Taping very useful.
Today as I am feeling much better with the pain I am doing a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises. I have found a good website summary explaining the subject of these exercises in: plantar fasciitis exercises
Take care & Good luck

LauraNorder Sat 18-Dec-10 18:22:30

I get this in the summer from wearing flip flops and flat sandals. I bought some fit flops this year and it cured it!

dandycandyjellybean Sat 18-Dec-10 18:55:50

Another advocate for mbts. Also I had it undiagnosed for a year and was in agony, could barely hobble. Saw a physio at my dr's and she suggested rolling a golf ball (hard) under foot whilst sitting at pc or tv. Did it as often as I could, as hard as I could stand and within a few weeks I was running again, although still only run in mbts - look a bit moronic, but it's great to be running again, after all the hobbling! hth

wigglybeezer Sun 19-Dec-10 22:35:16

Anyone have an arthritic hip at an early age, how quickly did it progress?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: