Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Someone tell me I'm being silly

(14 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 16-Dec-10 18:36:25

DH has chronic lung disease - he gets chest infections a lot in August he ended up having 2 weeks a/bs 3 days off 2 weeks a/bs 4 days off 2 weeks a/bs then admission to hospital

He has a chest infection atm & will finish his antibiotics on 23rd

We go away on 26th, we have a spare set of 2 weeks a/bs to take with us

We will be OK won't we? cos even if he takes the a/bs he still won't be at the need to go to hospital stage yet will he?

3littlefrogs Thu 16-Dec-10 18:42:10

Have you discussed this with your GP?

Have you got travel insurance that covers medical treatment and repatriation?

If yes to the above, then all should be well.

KatyMac Thu 16-Dec-10 18:43:49

We discussed going away with the hospital - they said great

We have travel insurance (for pre-existing conditions) Do I need to tell them he currently has an infection?

3littlefrogs Thu 16-Dec-10 18:47:27

I am nort sure, but maybe someone will be able to give advice...it is very tricky because they can void the insurance for non-disclosure.

KatyMac Thu 16-Dec-10 21:25:13

Yes I thought they might be tricky

AliceWorld Thu 16-Dec-10 21:30:19

I used to work on the phone number you ring when you are ill abroad. I'd say always always tell them about the medical history. If we found out about pmh, and we often did, it was tough pay for it yourself time. There were some conditions where it would be looked for straight away.

But I am coming at it very one sided, and was only on the phone number. Not an expert beyond that.

KatyMac Thu 16-Dec-10 21:34:24

That's it; I have told them all about his condition (& spent a fortune on insurance) - I guess I need to tell them he has an infection

AliceWorld Thu 16-Dec-10 21:37:54

If they already know he has a condition, and he's had infections before, and some medical professionals already know he has an infection now, I'd say they'll work it out. Sorry sad

I could be wrong...

KatyMac Thu 16-Dec-10 21:46:52

So I just need to tell them; it's not likely to change anything is it?

AliceWorld Thu 16-Dec-10 21:53:14

You see that's the bit I don't know. I don't know whether they will put the premium up or whether they will even refuse to insure. I don't know that bit. And now I feel crappy for mentioning it but not knowing that crucial bit of info. I didn't deal with that end of it you see.

But yes from what I recall of the way it was explained at our end, people should have rung up and told the insurance company but didn't.

Just recalled that there was sometimes a thing about having a letter from a medical professional to say you were 'fit to fly'. So a doctor had said you were OK to travel, which of course the hospital have said in your case.

Apols for the half info...

KatyMac Thu 16-Dec-10 21:55:03

No problem - I would have rung anyway

Full disclosure is always best with insurance & DD has a new inhaler so that has to go on too

KatyMac Fri 17-Dec-10 11:36:17

They are charging us an extra £4 for DD's inhaler & nothing for DH as it was already declared

AliceWorld Fri 17-Dec-10 13:34:23

I am pleased grin
Have a great holiday - sounds like you deserve it

KatyMac Fri 17-Dec-10 17:38:53

Thanks - I hope we have a calm time iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now