Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it likely for someone to have a fit because of stress?

(7 Posts)
BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Fri 12-Nov-10 22:09:50

My mothers been in hospital for 6 months! She should have been discharged yesterday, she's still there because they have not sorted the care package out for her to go home (angry) so now it's going to be Monday. My sister has called, she didn't sleep at all last night and has become very upset and very anxious. She had some sort of siezure this afternoon, now they want to wait until Monday to do a CT scan. Is it likely that she had a fit because she's so stressed out? It's never happened before.

sad

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Fri 12-Nov-10 22:30:24

bump

LaraJade Sun 14-Nov-10 05:10:40

Epileptic seizures can be triggered by stress - but make sure this is a definite diagnosis before meds get started.
Psychogenic seizures are non-epileptic in origin and can be caused by stress - if so she will need to see a mental health team
Other seizure causes include cardiac, TIA, and low sodium which are all treatable.
Hope things get sorted out soon.

Wordsonascreen Sun 14-Nov-10 07:00:06

My neurologist says that ANYONE can have a seisure due to lack of sleep.

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Sun 14-Nov-10 11:10:26

Thank you. I called her yesterday and she didn't sound right. After some digging she said she'd been sweating. She's prone to UTI's so I asked her to ask a nurse to check her urine, I'm so pleased that she listened because she has another UTI. They started her on antibiotics right away so we are hoping she'll still be able to go home tomorrow. They did a CT scan anyway, this is the third one she's had in 6 months.

Thank you for replying.

QueenofWhatever Sun 14-Nov-10 11:11:19

LaraJade is right. I had lots of fits in hospital last year. A CT, MRI and EEG were all negative and it was due to stress. I left my ex two months later and have not had one since!

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Sun 14-Nov-10 11:18:33

sad That must have been a scary time for you Queen. Men hey! They have no idea of the stress they cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now