Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I need to see the GP? Period now 3 weeks late, but not pregnant.

(8 Posts)
Littlefish Wed 10-Nov-10 21:42:39

I'm 42. My cycles are usually regular at between 26 and 29 days. Last month however, my period didn't come until day 38 which is unheard of (except the month I was pregnant with dd, 6 years ago).

This month though, things have got weirder! I'm now on day 49 and no sign of my period. I did a pregnancy test about 4 days ago and it was negative

Is this perimenopause/menopause? Something more sinister?

Should I go and see the GP? What would you do?

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Nov-10 21:46:26

I'd go to the gp, although two people I know in their early 40's are both starting the menopause, so I'd guess it is that. But best to have your hormone levels checked to confirm

Littlefish Wed 10-Nov-10 21:47:49

Thanks CMOT. I'm just sticking my head in the sand I suppose. My cousin has ovarian cancer, so I'm scared to google and see whether missing/irregular periods is a symptom of that. sad

dearprudence Wed 10-Nov-10 21:48:50

Menopause-type stuff would be my guess, but agree it's best to check, as you are young.

Littlefish Wed 10-Nov-10 21:51:10

<kisses dearprudence for calling her "young">

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Nov-10 21:54:50

Irregular periods is not a symptom of ovarian cancer, so put that worry to rest.

Littlefish Wed 10-Nov-10 22:06:04

Thank you CMOT. I will.

dearprudence Wed 10-Nov-10 22:06:16

I'm 43. You are young to me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now