Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Severely infected tonsillitis in adults

(13 Posts)
Plinkysmum Fri 19-Aug-05 14:52:33

hi i'm new to this board, would be grateful for any advice. Dp has this. Hasn't been able to eat since wednesday. Has just started to manage fluids today. Tried to eat late morning (cereal), as soon as it hit his stomach it all came back up. Tried apple bit later, same happened again. He's on penicillin and something else (can't remember). Could the tabs be causing the sickness? Or the fact he's got an empty stomach? He's feeling weak and dizzy due to lack of food. Trouble is he doesn't fancy eating anything i suggest. Anybody help re this? How soon till he starts feeling better. Got lots of pus etc on tonsils. Any other remedy suggestions.

thanks

littlemissbossy Fri 19-Aug-05 14:56:46

I've had this in the past, so sympathies to your dp. The symptoms of tonsillitus can also include stomach problems, sickness, cramps etc - I know that sounds mad - but that is what my GP told me at the time. How long has he been on the medication for?

Plinkysmum Fri 19-Aug-05 15:02:57

thanks for response. He started on meds yesterday am.

jampots Fri 19-Aug-05 15:03:11

you may have to try puree'd fruit

Plinkysmum Fri 19-Aug-05 15:06:37

thanks will try that, and ice cream was recommended by doc. I got him smoothies too but not sure if he brought that back up !!

Tiggiwinkle Fri 19-Aug-05 15:39:17

What is he taking for the pain? Soluble aspirin (in water)is excellent for very sore throat-use it as a gargle before you swallow it. I was given this when I had my tonsils out as an adult and it really helps.

Plinkysmum Fri 19-Aug-05 15:41:04

i think he might have been prescribed cocodamol for the pain. he tried soluble aspirin before he went to docs, but that does something funny with his stomach.

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:41:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Plinkysmum Fri 19-Aug-05 15:42:45

will try and get soup and ice cream down him tonight, i'm hoping that these last few days have been the worst of it and that by tomorrow he'll start feeling better - hope so. His temp is v high too - sweating a lot, and aching all over.

HandbagAddiction Fri 19-Aug-05 15:50:43

I found that the basic pencillin didn't work for me so after two days I rang the doctors and asked for something stronger which then worked like a treat.

I know you normally have to wait a period of time before the anti-biotics kick in..but if he's still feeling no better tomorrow - then I try and get something else.

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 15:51:50

Plinkysmum Fri 19-Aug-05 16:00:43

god how awful HF, was she taking any meds?

Hausfrau Fri 19-Aug-05 16:02:52

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: