Talk

Advanced search

Is there a way of seeing my email (outlook express) on my laptop??

(8 Posts)
princessmel Tue 15-Jul-08 13:05:13

This is for purely lazy reasons btw.

I am in the lounge on the sofa and can't be bothered to get up and turn on the pc in the playroom . I need to see if mum's replied about ds's sports day on monday.....

vbacqueen1 Tue 15-Jul-08 13:10:44

have you got wifi? Have you got outlook express installed on your laptop? If so, then yes you can. But you will need to sort out the settings first in your POP account.
If that sounds like gobbledegook, my apologies!

AMumInScotland Tue 15-Jul-08 13:23:05

You could do, but you would end up with some of your emails on the PC and some on the laptop which might cause confusion.

It might be easier to look at your ISPs website and view your mail on there without downloading it to Outlook Express. Then it will still be there when you turn on the main PC and it will download beside the others same as usual.

princessmel Wed 16-Jul-08 17:56:01

Aarrghh!! I don't get any of that!

I have wifi, but I also have legs. I will jiust check it on my pc.

Thanks though.

bosch Wed 16-Jul-08 22:51:39

AMumInScotland - if you come back here - can you explain why your emails would be shared between the PC and laptop? I generally use a laptop at home, though we're thinking of getting a pc that the children can use, and which I'm sure I'll use sometimes too. Have enough difficulties managing existing email account on laptop without it being divided between two computers!

AMumInScotland Thu 17-Jul-08 20:12:11

Hi! Programs like Outlook and Outlook Express download your emails - actually removing them from your "pigeonhole" at your ISP and storing them on the PC you are working on. So if you run Outlook on your PC then it will move the emails to there, and if you run it on the laptop then they'll be there instead. Which can end up very confusing!

There are things you can do with networks to get round it, but I don't really know about them.

The other way you can get round it is what I said above - don't run Outlook on the second PC, but if you want to see your emails then look at your ISP's website and go into your account. You can rad and reply to emals ther, but they're not being moved onto your PC - they're still in your "pigeonhole" there. Next time you run Outlook on the main PC, they will download along with any new ones. That way they are only ever stored on your main PC where you run Outlook.

HTH!

bosch Thu 17-Jul-08 22:23:45

If I think very hard I might be able to understand that! Thanks.

bosch Thu 17-Jul-08 22:25:00

oops, missed the smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now