Talk

Advanced search

Best book for novice gardeners please?

(9 Posts)
MargeHomerBart Sat 17-Apr-10 21:05:19

One that covers the basics.

Or best selection of essential gardening books please!

Thank you.

taffetacat Sat 17-Apr-10 21:08:04

Anything in particular you are interested in? eg Fruit and Veg/Flowers and Perennials/Trees and Shrubs/Garden design/Pruning/Other techniques eg propagation/Urban or small garden/Gardening with children?

MargeHomerBart Sun 18-Apr-10 18:13:46

Everything really. Small garden. Planting in pots mostly and also weed and pest control/garden maintenance. Thanks.

GrendelsMum Sun 18-Apr-10 18:21:26

We always say this but...

Go down to your local library first and borrow the books they've got. Choose the ones that you find most helpful and buy those!

barnetgirl Mon 25-Mar-13 11:30:13

My mum swears by RHS How to Garden: A Practical Introduction to Gardening

LauraShigihara Mon 25-Mar-13 11:34:41

I'm a very novice gardener - I have a large stretch of grass and some herbs in a pot. But I'm determined to get to grips with it this year (if the weather ever cheers up)...

... and that is my long-winded way of saying that I bought the RHS book recommended above and it is fab and very inspiring!

GandalfsHat Mon 25-Mar-13 12:57:34

RHS Encyclopedia of gardening - fab book, usually an old copy on a charity shop shelf somewhere, I refer to mine loads.

plipplops Tue 02-Apr-13 21:21:50

Alan Titchmarsh's How To Be A Gardener (books on and 2) were really good, and second about getting an RHS book from a charity shop.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 02-Apr-13 21:49:04

Also, there's lots of practical advice and planting suggestions on the RHS website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now