Talk

Advanced search

What could I grow on what is essentially a mound of gravelly clay?

(7 Posts)
BobTheDuvet Tue 19-Mar-19 15:44:39

When I dug our in-ground trampoline a year or so ago I got some of the subsoil mounded up in the front garden to make a rockery. I worked in large rockery stones and planted it up and it looks nice, but I ran out of stones at the end so that part of it is pretty much a mound of gravelly very clay-ey soil.

As you can see from the pics it's still pretty bare apart from the alkanets which I'm not keen on encouraging. I put in a cat mint which I hope will spring up this year, but what else could successfully grow here?

It faces north east, partially shaded, sheltered. No idea about drainage because the clay obv holds water but the gravel and the mound-ness of it may improve drainage? It gets v dry in summer time.

Beebumble2 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:31:09

The old favourite Cranesbill geraniums they grow pretty much anywhere. There are creeping and clumping varieties.

BobTheDuvet Tue 19-Mar-19 17:56:37

It's a good suggestion, though I'm not hugely keen on them. I have them elsewhere and find them underwhelming (sorry).

Polly99 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:59:23

I reckon rhubarb would grow there. Also melitis (bastard balm) which is very pretty from about May - August.
Those Japanese anemones seem to grow everywhere.

BobTheDuvet Tue 19-Mar-19 20:39:03

Oh yes - I've been looking for a spot to split my rhubarb into later in the year - genius!

I love the bastard balm, never heard of that. And have anemones in abundance in the back garden which I could relocate some of. Lovely, thanks!

peridito Thu 21-Mar-19 09:24:48

ooh I like the look of that bastard balm ,wonder if it would grow at foot of north facing fence ???

Polly99 Thu 21-Mar-19 17:09:08

It’s worth a try peridito. It’s a woodland plant so I have it in an area with dappled light in the morning only (N/E facing plot). Like lots of plants I expect it might like a bit more sun, but it seems to do ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: