Talk

Advanced search

Squirrel Deterrent

(5 Posts)
marilynmonroe Thu 27-Apr-17 12:26:34

I'm at my wits end! A squirrel keep digging up all my plants. Most mornings I go out to check the garden and there are big holes everywhere. Today it's managed to rip through wire mesh and more of less empty my big planter of all the soil!

What can I do to get rid of them??? My neighbour is having the same problem.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 27-Apr-17 13:02:25

I don't know, I've got a diggy squirrel too. Our neighbour puts out fatballs for the birds, the little blighter nicks them, and buries them in my planters (or occasionally the lawn).
I wondered if topping with gravel or bark chip would deter, but if wire mesh doesn't work maybe that'd just be a waste of money.

marilynmonroe Thu 27-Apr-17 13:47:52

I've just read up on it and apparently they don't like cayenne pepper and chilli flakes so i have poured some over my planter. I hope that works.

I've had wire mesh on my planter for a few years and this is the first year that it's done this. I think it might be getting revenge on us for shutting it out of our loft!

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Thu 27-Apr-17 14:26:20

I had this. Our little chap gave me a gift of grape hyacyinths that emerged from a pot this year.
However, I was fed up of all the pots being dug out, so I placed some cobbles (not gravel as its light enough for the squirrel to move) in all the spaces on the top of the pots around the plants.
That was 3-4 weeks ago, and he hasn't been back since.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 27-Apr-17 20:04:25

Grape hyacinths? grinI get inappropriately placed acorns sprouting - I left one, curious to see how big it will get in a pot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now