Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about mushroomy/fungi things?

(15 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 29-Apr-16 23:51:07

We are buying a new house and the garden has lots of these mushroomy things in the grass. Are they poisonous and how do I kill them for good? We have two dogs (one of whom is actually a pig disguised as a Border Terrier hmm ) and a 4yo, so obviously I don't want them loose in the garden while these things are out there. They don't look very friendly, just from looking at the weird, waxy looking top.

dodobookends Sat 30-Apr-16 00:04:14

In our experience (MIL's lawn) it is impossible to rid your grass of toadstools/mushrooms/fairy rings. They spread so much underground, and will come up no matter what. Nothing seems to kill them, and the only so-called 'helpful' advice we found was that you have to completely dig up the entire area all the soil down at least half a metre, and get entirely rid of it. Then you have to refill the whole space with new soil and re-seed/turf.

The only thing to do is go out every day and pick the things, and bin them. It does help to damp their enthusiasm and at least they won't spread their spores around even more.

Is the area particularly damp, or are there nearby large trees? They do seem fond of places where big tree roots run underground, and where the area doesn't get a lot of sunshine.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 30-Apr-16 00:20:31

There are a few trees around, (what we think is) a plum tree, some conifers, various shrubs and the grass is a bit overgrown too.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 30-Apr-16 00:22:45

I've been Googling and the closest one I can find to the ones in the garden are Death Caps. I really hope they're not Death Caps sad

Ifailed Sun 01-May-16 07:25:53

SexLube,
hopefully not. Do you have big trees in or near the garden as I believe they are typically associated with them. wearing gloves can you carefully extract one of them to see if they look like this?

Ifailed Sun 01-May-16 07:27:59

oh yes, one other thing, they usually fruit in summer or autumn, so now is either very late or early!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sun 01-May-16 08:52:05

<completely outs self> This is the garden and the circled area is where these mushroom things are. As you can see, there are several conifers (6 to be exact) and a fruit tree surrounding the mushroomy area. I will go up to the house at some point with some gloves and carefully pull one up. The photo up there ^^ of the one showing the underside is one I prodded over with my foot so the bottom probably snapped off.

Ifailed Sun 01-May-16 09:02:31

Best to be safe than sorry, but it is the wrong time of the year for death cap.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sun 01-May-16 09:48:57

Fingers crossed! My friend has found a group of people in my area that could help so I've sent them an email.

shovetheholly Tue 03-May-16 11:54:37

I can't see any sign of the classic death cap skirt at the top of the stem in your pictures, OP. The top also looks the wrong shape. I'm not a mushroom expert, though!

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Tue 03-May-16 12:07:31

Just googled April may mushrooms. It may be saint George's mushroom.

www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/st-georges-mushroom-mushroom/

Glad you found someone local who might help.

I know nothing about mushrooms, but really want to learn, but sort of want someone to actually teach me. I think it's too risky to just read up on.

toadflax Tue 03-May-16 12:08:31

Could be a St George's mushroom. Does it smell of anything?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Tue 03-May-16 12:29:47

Just watched the video in the link, looks very much like they are St Georges mushrooms. Phew. Just need to go up to the house to smell them. And maybe bring them home to put in my next chilli.

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Tue 03-May-16 13:03:09

I wouldn't eat them until you get someone reliable to confirm what they are.
<over cautious> blush

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 03-May-16 13:07:15

i would't eat them even then i don't think

if you google "mushroom expert" ....the very first auto suggest is "mushroom expert poisoned" and so so many articles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now