Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a small wooden Greenhouse

(8 Posts)
lavendersun Thu 07-Apr-16 15:54:46

I want one, did buy the wood about two years ago but gave it to a friend recently when we moved house so am obviously inclined to think that DH isn't keen on building me one and I am not sure I can be bothered as I know I wouldn't get the doors to match up properly and it would end up half finished.

Have found Woodpecker Joinery and actually really like the look of their cold frames - two of the 6 x 3 would do me I reckon.

www.woodpecker-joinery.co.uk/coldframes.html#tanalised

I could have a go at making a cold frame I suppose - but if the materials would cost me £100 each frame (no idea here) I would probably prefer just to pay someone.

Wondered if anyone had got any ideas or recommendations?

shovetheholly Thu 07-Apr-16 17:23:45

Those look absolutely GORGEOUS! But shock at the £££.

What are you using it for? Forgive me for asking, it's just that I know someone who spent a lot of money on one, only to be disappointed when he found out that it wasn't nearly the same thing as a greenhouse. As you probably know, it's more of a half-way house for plants to go between protected and unprotected conditions, i.e. 'hardening off' greenhouse plants ready for outdoor conditions.

To be utterly utilitarian, a glass one does the same job for far less £. I think mine cost about £40. It doesn't look too bad tucked in a corner either, though admittedly it is not the thing of beauty of those tanalised versions.

When I first joined this forum someone had made an absolutely stunning one out of reclaimed timber windows. That's something else to think about!

lavendersun Thu 07-Apr-16 17:55:48

Thank you shove. I have got lots of good ideas for making one (even bought some plans somewhere) - old windows are fab, but in reality I struggle with time (don't we all) and think I should just buy one. Lesson learnt from buying tons of wood I just had to give away!

My dad grows me everything I need in his greenhouse so it would be just hardening off/emergency protection - partly why I think I got to a cold frame. I could run a tiny greenhouse heater in one if I get the big ones if I had to I think.

I have got a potting bench in a walled garden and wanted to put it next to that (near my back door so I can see it often).

Maybe I will ask my Dad if he wants a project smile, do you think they are outrageously priced then?

I imagined that decent quality wood/materials would cost me about 1/3 of the price. Theirs looks like they have used a router/nicely finished.

I am V indecisive.

shovetheholly Thu 07-Apr-16 20:18:46

No, I don't think they are outrageous if you like them and you need to have wooden ones for aesthetic reasons!! They do look smashing. They are a 'treat', but everyone deserve one of those sometimes. smile

I suppose it also depends a bit on how settled you are, whether you'll want to move it etc. If you're in for the long haul, have you thought about a totally permanent brick one like the old-fashioned ones they have at stately homes? I imagine you could have one built for around the same price.

lavendersun Thu 07-Apr-16 21:00:38

Thanks Shove. I think we will stay where we are for 7 or 8 years but you never know with DH, he keeps getting job offers all over the place. I am like an anchor - too old to keep moving around the world.

I think I might go for one to begin with - I like the tanalised look best (thinking I could paint it too if I wanted to).

Might look around for a local shed maker next week for a price check.

My dad didn't take up the challenge!

shovetheholly Fri 08-Apr-16 10:27:32

The great thing about tanalised timber is that it really does last these days without protection should you want the natural look- whatever they do to it makes the most massive difference! Sometimes it has a slightly orange or green look at first, but this fades.

Shame your Dad couldn't be persuaded!! grin!

shovetheholly Fri 08-Apr-16 10:28:06

The great thing about tanalised timber is that it really does last these days without protection should you want the natural look- whatever they do to it makes the most massive difference! Sometimes it has a slightly orange or green look at first, but this fades.

Shame your Dad couldn't be persuaded!! grin!

lavendersun Fri 08-Apr-16 14:44:48

Yes, what a shame about Dad Shove. My field shelter is tanalised and I didn't do anything to it for the first seven years, I think whatever they use has copper in it (hence the green I suppose) although I could be making that bit up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now