cherry maggots

(4 Posts)
manechanger Sat 04-Jul-15 15:30:02

hi i have a cherry tree which has been fine for 20 years but for the first time this year the large crop is completely infested with maggots. Internet digging seems to diagnose western cherry fly or similar but all flies dont exist in the uk (although common in europe and usa). Can't find another fly in uk that it could be.

Has anyone else had this problem this year? Also found out that cherry harvest is quadrupling this year. Is it possible it's a new pest that has been imported so is the western cherry fly?

medway Thu 18-Feb-16 15:08:11

Did you ever get an answer to this? I had exactly the same problem last yer, never had it before. I want to know before the tree starts flowering what I can do to prevent recurrence. Hope you can help!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 18-Feb-16 15:42:02

Codling moths or apple sawfly can certainly attack cherry trees, and probably lots of other pests too.

Maybe have a Google of them and see if they match what you had.
You can spray, or use traps for the moths,or I think there is also a nematode that can be used. But I've never tried any of that so no idea how effective they are.

medway Sun 21-Feb-16 14:08:24

thanks for this would be great to know what sort of spray will be effective

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now