Talk

Advanced search

I have just trodden on a slug <shudder>

(21 Posts)
JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 13:30:26

..and am trying not to vomit.

Last night the garden was crawling with the disgusting slimy buggers, and they've eaten all of my dahlias.

Best slug --killing- repelling things you've come across please, the more powerful the better.

Also.. why is slug slime so damned impossible to wash off!?

<blerghhhh>

IvyAndGold Wed 27-Jul-11 13:31:23

Oh god. Sockless? <vom>

QuincyMincemeat Wed 27-Jul-11 13:41:15

I did that last night, barefoot. There's one of the little bastards that crawls into my futility room of a night and makes trails all over carpet.

I picked it up and threw it down the loo.
I realise this isn't a practical solution, but felt I had to share.
I've been re living it all day and doing little silent <screams>

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 18:50:47

They're everywhere! <cries>

No, not barefoot, worse... was wearing birkies do smushed up the side and all over the leather, blergh.

I need the most potent slug pellets known to man please

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 18:51:25

Oh, if I find them they get launched into the road, but I can't bear to go near them anymore..

BeerTricksPotter Wed 27-Jul-11 18:53:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peeriebear Wed 27-Jul-11 18:54:18

I don't get many slugs in my garden- but that's because I have the local frog population resident in four small wildlife ponds. Free and organic!
I did tread on one barefoot when I ran outside to speak to a cab driver- I screamed horribly and he thought I'd really hurt myself! That horrible feeling of resistance then sudden give. Ewwww

peeriebear Wed 27-Jul-11 18:55:48

That was a slug I trod on, not a frog. I have however strimmed (with a big petrol strimmer) a slug, a frog, a dog poo and a rotting bird carcass. None are pleasant.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 18:56:34

I've trodden on a massive bumble bee before, they go pop then all their mates come to get you.

Aaatrfhh

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 20:26:57

Oh lawks.. peeriebear I have just seen your last post shock

I have done the lawnmower + dog poo (ARGH!!) thing, but thankfully I've never strimmed a frog!

(this thread is making me feel slightly sick)

spout Wed 27-Jul-11 20:31:19

I have just stepped on three slugs in the process of taking in washing. Barefoot. I can still feel them between my toes.

<pours milton over self>

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 20:33:26

I'm not pissing about with beer in cups in the garden. I need some kind of napalm for slugs.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 27-Jul-11 20:33:41

(and don't say salt) wink

Driftwood999 Thu 28-Jul-11 17:28:55

Please a thousand times please do not use slug repellents, granuals. Hedgehogs die in agony from ingesting them. Once, when our ds was about 8, he was distraught that we could not save a HH from this. He had noticed it in a neighbour's garden as it was giving out a pitiful cry. It was so much more traumatic than squishing a slug with your bare feet. Please chose your slug repellent method with the utmost care.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 28-Jul-11 18:04:39

Apparently they're pretty unsafe for kids too but hadn't thought of other wildlife because we hardly ever get anything.

Think I'm going to have to DP the cups of beer in the ground thing .. blergh.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 28-Jul-11 18:05:46

Do, not DP. You know you've been on MN too long when your phone autocorrects normal words to MN acronyms

TheFarSide Thu 28-Jul-11 18:08:35

Nematodes? Microscopic worms that eat slugs and are harmless to humans and pets.

I just ordered some from Nemasys (to kill wine weevils in my case) and they got v good reviews on Amazon.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 28-Jul-11 18:10:03

Wooooo brilliant. I knew id heard of something like that buy figured I'd made it up in my brain or something.

Perfect, thank you

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 28-Jul-11 18:10:24

(calms down)

TheFarSide Thu 28-Jul-11 18:12:35

They come through the post - alive - so you have to use them straight away or store them in the fridge (there's a down side to everything).

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 28-Jul-11 18:15:41

I can cope with that, I think I'll order some ladybirds while I'm at it (hey its payday, may as well go crazy!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now