Talk

Advanced search

I need the idiot's guide to making a border please!

(6 Posts)
twinky Fri 08-Jul-11 09:47:33

My garden is mainly scruffy lawn and there is a really sunny patch that I would like to make into a border. I can dig up the turf but then what? Is it just a case of dig over the ground underneath or do I need to do anything else? Advice from more knowledgable mumsnetters would be appreciated.

girlscout Fri 08-Jul-11 12:03:48

I think you have it theretwinky.
Dig up a bit of the lawn, leave a little "gulley" between the soilborder level and the turf, enrich the soil according to what you want to put in (manure for a goodfeed, compost for drainage and delicate newplants,). Is it clay ,sandy soil?
Are you putting in acid loving plants, then put in the appropriate conditions.

twinky Fri 08-Jul-11 12:44:52

Thankyou girlscout. I think the soil is fairly peaty. I have some nice compost waiting to be used so could maybe use some of that. I will have a go when the weather improves!

queenmaeve Sat 09-Jul-11 00:06:18

Try buying something in bloom every month or so for a year. That way you'll always have a bit of colour in your border

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 10-Jul-11 16:07:15

I've just done this. There was a border before but it was filled with overgrown shrubs. I paid for it to be cleared and dug over and it was in remarkably good nick underneath. If you can get hold of wholesale compost or well-rotted manure that's worth digging in. I've also been sprinkling around and digging in some all purpose fertilizer granules.

Having had some expensive disasters planting new things in dry summers I would always wait for autumn to start planting in earnest. My best tip is - aside from any structural shrubs and climbers - avoid planting ones and twos of things. If you go for perennials, they look best if planted in a larger group... threes and sixes. And, while things are establishing, fill any gaps with easy growing annuals or bedding.

twinky Mon 11-Jul-11 09:25:12

Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions. The weather is glorious today so am going to make a start. Maybe this time next year I'll have a beautiful flower border to admire!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now