Advanced search

starting university and taking child with me

(5 Posts)
Avacathar Sun 23-Feb-14 14:45:57

Hi mums, need advice!

I going to be starting my psychology degree this Sept, I have had offers from local universities, however I am waiting to hear back from Brighton. I have e-mailed them and have a response about how no family accommodation is provided. I am looking on various sites at private housing. how do I go about this? I have a job ATM and am hoping to transfer when i move up, I want to live in a town near Brighton, as that's where my parents are and where her new nursery will be.

Any other mums faced this when going to university? how do I overcome this and secure somewhere for late august Hopefully?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

BoffinMum Sun 23-Feb-14 18:46:35

I would be nervous about going to a university who were unable to help with family accommodation. I've done this and life was quite difficult. On the other hand you do have parents nearby so I suppose you could always kip at theirs whilst making the move. If you can afford it, try looking for a flat early before the rush, perhaps, as you'll get much better choice.

Avacathar Sun 23-Feb-14 20:51:59

Hi BoffinMum thank you.

My sister is at a uni that doesn't have family accommodation and it hasn't been too difficult for her, however she was renting in the area beforehand. As suggested, i will be looking before the rush and plan to get things rolling once I've applied for student finance and know how much I'm going to have to budget with x

BigTroubleinSmallBoots Sun 23-Feb-14 20:59:04

Hi Avacathar,

Would it be possible to stay with your parents while you apply for a social tenancy - as a full time student and a parent you would probably be able to qualify for social housing and housing benefit. This would take the pressure off you having to work FT while you study and child wrangle. I did this while I studied for my BA and MA and it worked out really well for my small(er) family at the time. Oh, another thought - does Brighton have an approved landlords list? Might be worth getting in touch directly and seeing who you could contact early and try to get a place for you and your children.

Best of luck with both your studies and accommodation hunting!

Avacathar Mon 24-Feb-14 10:15:10

Hi BigTrouble,

My parents have a one bedroom place, which if push comes to shove we will have to stay with them

Its a little naughty but when I lived in Brighton before I was on the social housing register, however when I moved I rang up and cancelled my application... a year later I'm still registered! I'm not sure what to do about that. In reference to approved landlord's- I plan to start e-mail local agencies as soon as and once I have a conditional offer I can get this code to look up landlords via Brighton uni.

thank you for your thoughts!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: