Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Grandma we love you gone wrong, family fostering - is it really that cut and dry?

(17 Posts)
kellysmelly Tue 24-Jul-12 18:56:48

My friend has promised her daughter to care for her grandaughter (not quite 2) if the 'worst' happened and it did. Now it looks like she's on her own financially and supportively, does anyone have any 'I fought the system and I won' type senario's.

Greythorne Tue 24-Jul-12 18:59:07

Please post more details.
Do you mean the mother of the child has died?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 24-Jul-12 19:16:54

The most important thing is what is best for the child. If this is likely to be a long term situation, maybe the toddler would be best going to long term foster carers who can provide everything without worry. I am a long term foster carer and it honestly isn't always bad for the child, provided regular contact with the family is maintained.

bonnieslilsister Tue 24-Jul-12 21:02:07

It is unheard of these days for a one or two year old to go into long term foster care.

SS will always look to family first to take the child.

What do you mean about fighting the system?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 24-Jul-12 21:16:37

They may look to family first but if that is not an option a good fostering placement is not necessarily a bad thing.

bonnieslilsister Tue 24-Jul-12 21:42:07

A child that age (I know, any age) needs a forever family.....

lisad123 Tue 24-Jul-12 21:45:23

think more info is needed.

SchrodingersMew Tue 24-Jul-12 22:24:01

My Gran raised me on her own (my Father died and then my Grandfather a couple of months later, so entirely on her own,) on a part time wage and child benefit, I remember we did sometimes struggle a little at times but she means more to me than anyone else in the world and I am forever thankful she took me in. smile

bonnieslilsister Wed 25-Jul-12 00:25:18

schro that is really lovely I am so glad she was there for you and she made a real difference to your life.

What is really sad is if a child is in fc quite often the granny is not suitable either for looking after the child but sw will always check this out.

kellysmelly Wed 25-Jul-12 12:58:07

Sorry all, more details : -

I cant be more specific around why mum has gone but she's gone for at least 5 years. My friend is 100% going to care for her grandaughter, she has great family around her too who will help as well as me and her other friends, this was never the issue. The issue is finance, she's been advised that social care wont step in to either support emotionally or financially because she has undertaken a voluntary agreement and has not been previously reported to social care, nor has the child been 'placed' in care by the LA. So basically she's completely on her own.

With regard to fighting the system and winning, I meant has anyone challenged this impossible and unfair system and gone after fostering support (money/help/advice) which my friend is not currently entitled too. x

SchrodingersMew Wed 25-Jul-12 21:05:15

She should be entitled to child benefit and child tax credits if she is on a low wage, maybe she could go to a SureStart centre and ask there?

Bonnie Thanks, I don't think I could be closer to a person. However, I do realise this isn't always the situation.

lisad123 Wed 25-Jul-12 21:16:40

I'm afraid they are right. She isn't entitled to anything other than child benefits and child tax credits. She also needs to ensure she has share or full PR as otherwise medical care and school choices could be effected.

ivykaty44 Wed 25-Jul-12 21:20:52

Sorry this has happened - it sounds a difficult time for the dc.

Along with child benefit and child tax credits - what about the other parents assisting with time or money?

I am not sure if the CSA can be used to assist with this type of claim?

IDontDoIroning Wed 25-Jul-12 21:28:50

She needs to contact social services and ask about their section 17 budget.
(disclaimer...I'm not sure if it's still section 17 under the new childtens act but it used to be under the old act but I'm sure any social worker would know about it)
Basically section 17 allows local authorities to spend money on keeping children out of care.
Obviously they aren't going to publicise it but they have the discretion to give money to people like your friend although in reality they would probably like her to look after them for nothing.
However if she wasn't able to look after them they would end up in fodyet care which would cost LOTS so basically this means they can give her money which ultimately also helps them as they get less children in care with the associated financial committment.
I've seen payments being made out of this budget for one off basics like Meter tokens to regular child minding.

IDontDoIroning Wed 25-Jul-12 21:30:21

Fodyet - foster

lisad123 Wed 25-Jul-12 21:31:30

See section 17 money has to given for a reason so not just general stuff. You also have to be under SS caseload and from
op it doesn't seem she is.

ScariestFairyByFar Tue 21-Aug-12 10:33:56

It sounds like she would only be eligible for the standard child benifit and working tax/child tax credits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now