Talk

Advanced search

courgettes

(20 Posts)
jenk1 Fri 12-Aug-05 13:27:04

in my veg box today were some courgettes, i have never cooked with them and are at a loss of what to make can anyone help?

Lonelymum Fri 12-Aug-05 13:36:50

I just eat mine plain as a veggie.

They are good for concealing in tomato based sauces if you have fussy eaters in the house (pureed I mean).

beetroot Fri 12-Aug-05 13:38:39

Message withdrawn

Cybermum Fri 12-Aug-05 13:44:32

or you could roast them. Chop them into chunks with cherry tomatos and er... butternut squash.. or.. onions.. whatever you've got - add olive oil and roast for 20/30mins.

MarsLady Fri 12-Aug-05 13:51:51

you can make courgette muffins.

ChaCha Fri 12-Aug-05 15:46:51

Stuff 'em!!!!

But it is very time consuming. I love stuffed peppers, courgettes and tomatoes.

You could also make courgettes (sliced) in a bechamel sauce for the oven.

sallystrawberry Fri 12-Aug-05 15:56:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NannyL Fri 12-Aug-05 17:34:06

they are my charges alll time fav veg...

i simply chop them thinly, about 1 - 2mmm thick, and put them in a pan of already boiling water for 3 mins max... TBH its normally on top of the vegablea already in the pan that are already cooking.... carrots / broccolli / peas / sweetcorn...

i just chick them on top (to save washing up... still 3 mins max tho)

if they are lucky they get a little butter melted on... if not eat them as they are!

VERY yummy!

SaintGeorge Fri 12-Aug-05 17:45:44

Courgette crisps are nice.

Use a veg peeler to slice them really thinly and then deep fry.

spacedonkey Fri 12-Aug-05 17:56:24

Lovely in a frittata - slice fairly thinly and fry in olive oil until browning at the edges, then pour in some beaten eggs, some fresh breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Delicious.

harpsichordcarrier Fri 12-Aug-05 18:01:44

courgette and watercress soup, if you have enough

Tinker Fri 12-Aug-05 18:03:36

Chocolate and courgette cake is gorgeous.

spacedonkey Fri 12-Aug-05 18:05:47

ooh yes they make a lovely cake! Not had one with chocolate though - the one I had was similar to a carrot cake, only more moist and delectable. Drool.

cod Fri 12-Aug-05 18:06:54

Message withdrawn

fairyfly Fri 12-Aug-05 18:11:41

Jamie oliver does a gorgeous courgette smash thing to spread on toasted ciabatta, will see if its online

shimmy21 Fri 12-Aug-05 18:15:47

As a side dish - griddle thin lengthwise slices in olive oil and toss with a little chopped mint, splash of vinegar and pinch of salt - mmm!

Milge Fri 12-Aug-05 18:29:46

make courgette, pea and mint soup - really yum and can be served cold in the summer like a vichysoisse:
Chop an onion and fry, add a chopped up potato and fry for a further minute or two. Add chopped up courgette and fry until they have browned.
Add as much stock ( veg or chicken) as you need, then simmer gently for 15mins. Add frozen peas and dried mint and cook for a further 10 mins adding more stock if you need. Add s&p to taste if required. Whizsz in a blender and serve warm or cold. If cold, i add a swirl of single cream to it.

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 18:32:30

Fry up onions,garlic and chilli. Add courgettes sliced lengthways,fry briefly,adding some cumin. Finish with a good squeeze of lemon. Great with grilled lamb,very thick tzatziki and brown rice.

sallystrawberry Fri 12-Aug-05 18:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IlanaK Fri 12-Aug-05 19:32:02

I made them last night (also from organic box) in the way Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall does. SLiced thinly, fried in olive oil and garlic on a LOW heat so they do not brown, but they go very soft (at least 20 mminutes). Then sort o f mash up with a potatoe masher roughly. Add some grated parmesan and a spoon or two of cream. Really lovely and the whole family liked it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: