Talk

Advanced search

easy dahl recipee

(11 Posts)
bagpussmice Fri 15-Jul-05 10:25:08

Anyone got one?

Enid Fri 15-Jul-05 10:34:14

well I do this:

cook red lentils in water until soft (or yellow split peas even nicer if you can be bothered to soak them)

heat oil and big lump of butter in frying pan. Add curry paste/spices + 2 cloves of chopped garlic until you get a nice oily runny garlicky mess. Stir into cooked and drained lentils with lots of salt and pepper and a big bag of spinach and toss until spinach wilted.

scrum

a bit of lemon juice is nice too.

Willow2 Fri 15-Jul-05 10:36:40

That sounds yummy.

Does anyone know a good recipe for vegetable dansak? I live on the Waitrose one - but would like to make my own.

bagpussmice Fri 15-Jul-05 10:42:22

sounds delicious Enid - might try that - what spices do you add?

jackeroo Fri 15-Jul-05 13:22:25

i've been wanting to make dahl too but have bought green lentils - do you think they will be ok for this?

Enid Fri 15-Jul-05 13:24:30

Well I grind my own or more often than not I use a big dollop of pataks madras curry paste which is very good (but pretty hot).

bagpussmice Fri 15-Jul-05 18:32:39

willow2 I've got an excellent recipee for a butternut squash and chick pea dhansak - it is a bit of a cheat as you use a dhansak jar sauce - but still really yummy - let me know if you're interested and I can send you the recipee..
In fact I am cooking it tonight - it's v. easy!

Willow2 Fri 15-Jul-05 20:14:03

Sounds good - please email me at aeffreelance@hotmail.com - I'll report back once it's in my tum

bagpussmice Sat 16-Jul-05 20:09:10

willow2 - I've emailed you the details - enjoy!

Willow2 Sun 17-Jul-05 10:30:43

That's odd - nothing has arrived so far. Could you send it again? It's aeffreelance@hotmail.com - thank you!

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 10:33:27

Those sound good. One adjunct ....

TARKA:
After you've cooked the lentils in the curry paste gently fry some (lots) garlic in butter until it's just about to turn brown, then add it right at the end. This puts the 'tarka' in tarka dahl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now