Talk

Advanced search

What and how much do you give your 16mnth old for breakfast?

(9 Posts)
CADS Wed 13-Jul-05 09:59:00

Me again!

Any ideas on portion sizes and variety would be great?

fastasleep Wed 13-Jul-05 10:03:41

Theo had a lightly buttered croissant and a pot of fruit this morning as I was feeling lazy.. he usually has fruit porridge though which consists of ground up rolled oats (I plonk a load in a blender then keep them in a take away box) mixed into one of those cans of pure fruit, zapped in a microwave for 30 seconds until all stiff and gooey and then I add milk till it goes nice and soft... *takes a breath!*

lunavix Wed 13-Jul-05 10:08:12

Ds has toast (one slice, or two if he's starving) with some fruit (melon, half an apple etc)

or a childs ikea bowl full of cheerios and milk (although I still melt them and mash with a whole banana)

or one or two weetabix, melted with milk (sometimes a banana too)

or a bowl of porridge and two figs and a banana... do you see a pattern he loves banana!

Or a croissant and some fruit....

There's lots he likes breakfast is his favourite meal though. He usually has a big handful of cheerios at 8 (milk at 7.30, still 9oz) to see him through to breakfast at 9!

fastasleep Wed 13-Jul-05 10:08:28

(He generally has a pretty full tommee tippee baby bowl full)! A bit masochistic faffing with the porridge every day though!

CADS Wed 13-Jul-05 22:36:16

Thanks ladies,

Think I'm doing ok with the portion sizes, but for some reason ds refuses to eat his lunch (this has been happening for +-3weeks). He use have breakfast at 8am and then lunch at 12pm but lately he will only eat a third of his lunch and then be starving by 3pm.

lunavix - What time does your ds have lunch?

vicdubya Wed 13-Jul-05 22:53:55

Is he having a snack or milk at mid morning?

Ds also 16 months has bowl of redibrek (tommee tippee bowl) with fruit puree plus toast or a banana.

Snack eg apple or rice cakes & dried fruit mid morning.

Sandwiches or other lightish lunch, fruit and / or yoghurt.

Snack mid pm

Large cooked meal at teatime.

he doesn't have any milk except 1 x BF before bed.

janeybops Wed 13-Jul-05 22:57:53

1 and half to 2 weetabix and a banana

flowerfairy Wed 13-Jul-05 23:00:09

My ds is almost 16 months and I pretty much do the same as vicdubya.

Also got some ideas for some more variety than cereal & toast form this thread. Hope you don't mind.

TracyK Thu 14-Jul-05 13:51:07

ds is 16mo too - but also has been on and off his meals for the past few weeks or so. But it could be the heat or teeth. One day he eats like a horse - others - he picks. Today he had 6 oz milk at 6.30 then 3 prunes and 2 squares of toast for brekkie, small snack at nursery and a tiny bit of pudding for lunch. So he'll be blooming starving by the time he wakes from his nap.
I just go with the flow and kind of judge whether he's due a snack to keep him going and have a later tea or give him nothing and bring tea forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now