Talk

Advanced search

Recipe for duck breasts please

(12 Posts)
JackBauerBlowsShitUp Wed 04-Nov-09 20:47:49

My mum bought us some duck breasts last week and we can't decide what to do with them.
Oh, and DH does not do veg.
ta muchly

abra1d Wed 04-Nov-09 20:52:36

Try frying them in olive oil. When they're almost done, but still just a bit pink, add a dash of brandy or red wine, or both, then a bit of English mustard. Reduce down the liquid (take the breasts out if you're worried they're overcooking and keep them warm), add a teaspoon of honey and then some creme fraiche before serving.

Nice with saute potatoes or mini roast pots. That is, small cubes of potato roasted in olive oil with rosemary/thyme/oregano.

Although your husband doesn't like vegs, this goes very well on a bed of watercress, just dressed in a vinaigrette.

JackBauerBlowsShitUp Wed 04-Nov-09 21:07:44

Nice abra1d, have read that to DH and he is drooling.
Normally I would stir fry or do with a plum sauce but fancied somethign different as girls will be sleeping after party food!

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 04-Nov-09 21:10:56

I was given a Saturday Kitchen recipe book and there's a lovely recipe in there for duck with redcurrant and wine sauce that I've done a few times. Can let you know recipe if you think dh might like it.

JackBauerBlowsShitUp Wed 04-Nov-09 21:30:06

Thanks display, but redcurrants are a nogo unfortunately (boring fuckergrin)

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 04-Nov-09 22:08:44

hurrumph!grin

abra1d Thu 05-Nov-09 11:49:06

I think you need to send that husband of yours on here so we can (gently) indoctrinate him about vegs. and various berries. grin

JackBauerBlowsShitUp Thu 05-Nov-09 19:56:19

I've tried, I have got him eating tomato, apples, strawberries and spinach after 14 years of us being together. (Never mind about the carrots, courgettes and peppers I hide in his food along with the DD@s...)
but after 18 years of his mother's veg destroying cooking habits I can't blame him reallywink

abra1d Fri 06-Nov-09 08:33:55

Did she boil 'em to death? Enough to put anyone off.

JackBauerBlowsShitUp Fri 06-Nov-09 16:02:05

Yup. and back again.

JackBauerBlowsShitUp Fri 06-Nov-09 21:08:58

Oh. Oh.
Thats was sooo nice.
DH couldn't speak he was so in love with his food.
And I did them with sauteed new potatoes on a bed of wild rocket (as I prefer that to watercress) and he ate the big handful I put on his plate. Didn't put vinagreitte on, I just sliced the duck (as one was about twice the size of the other) , lay it on top and spooned the sauce over.

It was so good. We are plotting when we can have it again!

Thanks abraid!

abra1d Fri 06-Nov-09 21:16:36

Glad you liked it. (Well done about the rocket, btw.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now