Talk

Advanced search

home-made lunches to save money

(10 Posts)
RacingSnake Sun 27-Sep-09 20:53:30

Having realised that we really need to save money, I have looked at our avoidable expenses and found that quite a lot is spent on lunches when out for the day. Often the food isn't much good either!

I have decided that we will take our own packed luches, cakes, soups, etc. I have bought a soup thermos with a wide mouth.

The trouble is, I don't really fancy boring sandwiches.

Would you all mind sharing your favourite suitable recipes? Pasties, cakes, scotch eggs, cold ratatouille ... I don't know what they could be, but need inspriation, please.

MadBadandCoveredinSequins Sun 27-Sep-09 21:32:15

I feel your pain.

I think the key to the sandwiches is to use wonderful bread. Ditch the wrapped, sliced loaf hmm in favour of pitta, ciabatta, focaccia, tortilla wraps etc. I don't have a recipe, but lamb meatballs with a minty yogurt sauce in pitta bread make a fab packed lunch.

RacingSnake Tue 29-Sep-09 20:17:55

Great start, MadBad. Certainly no white sliced will be involved! One of my favourite economy measures is German Sonnenblumenbrot etc from Lidl. Not from Waitrose, which would cost more than a meal out in a four-star restaurant if used for lunches for three. Am wondering whether Swedish meatballs from SainsJamie's would be a good substitute for homemade. blush

missorinoco Tue 29-Sep-09 20:20:03

Lovely salads. With rocket and parmesan or other yummy cheese.

Or soup. I'm a Heinz Tomato Soup fan for at work. It may be acomfor food thing. Cheap and cheerful.

Essie3 Tue 29-Sep-09 20:49:22

I've started doing this too! I'm vegetarian.

Agree that the key is the bread. I don't really like sandwiches, but I'm getting better now with fancy bread.
Some of my lunches recently:
Falafel salad in pitta bread
Couscous with feta cubes (these) and roasted veg - you can buy that in Lidl (thank you, Mumsnetters!). That takes a max of 5 mins to make, and it's, like, proper food! You can then drizzle sweet chilli or whatever on it.
Veggie sausage rolls - lovely. blush
If you take in soup, make sure you have cake. Although apparently it's supposed to fill you up more than 'solid' food, I find it doesn't last.
Last but not least... blush blush blush my barbecued tofu roll... fry tofu in strips and slather it in bbq sauce... blush

SixtyFootDoll Tue 29-Sep-09 20:51:40

I pay the budget part baked baguettes and use those - 45p for two.
I particularly like brie with cranberry sauce and lettuce.

MadBadandCoveredinSequins Tue 29-Sep-09 22:12:06

Is there scope for further savings by making the soup from scratch? You can get a ton of carrots or parsnips from one packet of seed. Lettuce pea and lovage is another fab combination with grow-and-make-it-yourself potential.

Check our Lidl's seed selection next spring!

MadBadandCoveredinSequins Tue 29-Sep-09 22:16:41

Another thought (which I'm sure you've already had). I find on days out that it's the drinks which ratchet up the cost. Buy re-usable drinks bottles and fill them with tap water/watered down juice/gin or whatever you prefer. Take along home-made popcorn for treats.

Do not succumb to the siren call of the tea room (except on MN).

nauseous Tue 29-Sep-09 22:16:59

Soups! Use lots of lentils, pearl barley, bacon, or sausage, tinned toms etc...

RacingSnake Fri 02-Oct-09 19:56:32

Lovely, lots of soups. smile
Any good ideas for pasties etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now