Talk

Advanced search

ok boring but lets talk the price of food?

(21 Posts)
mothersmilk Sat 15-Aug-09 13:45:09

iv just done my 2 week food plan and am just wondering how much does everyone else spend as a rule for a 1 week shop for the average family there 4/5 in mine 2 adults 2/3 kids im hoping doing it this way will save money am i being wishfull?

ilovetochat Sat 15-Aug-09 13:49:59

2 adults, 1 dc (2), we spend £60 per week including night nappys still and beer/wine.

LilyOfTheMountain Sat 15-Aug-09 13:50:57

switching away from a one-sueprmarket-for-all shop to visiting local stores (indie butchers, greegrovers, wilkinsons, H&B then a top up at asda for absics saved us about £10 a week. In fact that is also about what Chrostmas costs us LOL, sorted wink

We are a big family of 6 with 4 on special diets and we eat fro £113 pw. So I would say above that is a bit high if you don't have the same extrs buys.

bigchris Sat 15-Aug-09 13:51:39

about £90

nancy75 Sat 15-Aug-09 13:52:28

mine depends, if i do a dinner plan for the week and stick to my shopping list its about £80, if i go with dp we usually end up spending about £110 - £120 (2 adults & 1 dd age 4)

Stinkyfeet Sat 15-Aug-09 13:55:00

We're a family of 4; 2 adults, 6yr old and 3yr old. A year ago it was about £70 per week, crept up with rising food cost to about £90 6 months ago.

FlyMeToDunoon Sat 15-Aug-09 13:56:13

Family of five - two adults and three children, £115 for the two week shop and around £20 extra a week in greengrocer, bits and bobs.

sherby Sat 15-Aug-09 13:58:18

Family of 4, about £50 at the till and then £20 bits and bobs during the week

LadyOfWaffle Sat 15-Aug-09 14:07:00

We are a family of 4 - DSs are 3 and 1 but we seem to spend a fortune on food without really getting much. I have noticed alot goes to waste with the boys, I now cook one chicken breast between them/one piece of salmon etc. Also don't use up stuff because you think it will go to waste then have a heaving plate - plan something to use it up the next day - eg. DH and I had spaghetti the other night and usually would bung in all the mince as it would go to waste, but have started to save 1/3 for burgers for the DSs the next day etc. Food planning is the way to go, then you can plan to use the food up better.

AramintaCane Sat 15-Aug-09 14:07:11

Did you see the Economy Gastronomy show where they economised and spend 210 pounds a week on food ?

about £80

AramintaCane Sat 15-Aug-09 14:08:48

including pets smile

sherby Sat 15-Aug-09 14:09:57

Trick is to to not just throw crap in because you are hungry etc

herbietea Sat 15-Aug-09 14:12:16

Message withdrawn

bigchris Sat 15-Aug-09 14:13:37

i dread to think how much it will go up to when mine our teenagers herbie

mothersmilk Sat 15-Aug-09 15:04:42

do any of you but on line could this be the way to go? apart from veg as i dont trust them to a good job wink

pippylongstockings Sat 15-Aug-09 15:20:11

It varies. We are a family of four 2 adults and 2 kids (3&5).

If I do a weekly menu then I guess we spend about £60.

We get through about 12 pints of milk a week, 3 loaves of bread and vast quanties of fruit and veg which is all stuff I have to stock up on again during the week.

theansweris42 Sat 15-Aug-09 15:27:37

I buy online for everything except fruit and veg, I plan meals and less impulse buying online. we're two adults and teeny DS (3 months) and spend about £50-60 per week, including toiletries, household items and baby things (not formula)

theansweris42 Sat 15-Aug-09 15:29:54

agree mothersmilk they don't send the veggies you would choose! and sometimes poor quality/past their best so I go to the shops for those smile

oneopinionatedmother Sat 15-Aug-09 15:30:36

2 adults 2 sub twos -

about £50 including booze/ cleaning stuff.

that's still too much though, partly my fault for drinking milk like a suckling calf (even at 2 6 pinters for £4 from tesco's)
and allowing DH to have BBQs/ buy stuff for homebrew.
The toddler loves veg so is quite cheap to feed, baby isn't off veg purees/ yoghurt things yet.

in some ways the food cost rising has just altered our choices - we don't buy cream any more (so instead of spending 20p more, we spend 50p less.IYSWIM) or nice puddings [sulky face with quivering top lip]

cazboldy Sat 15-Aug-09 15:39:06

7 of us (5 dc) 2 still in nappies at night only

we spend approx £110 including cat food

BUT I have a freezer full of a bullock we had slaughtered

and I only buy milk for the youngest 2, the rest of us have it straight out of the tank - we live on a farm.

I make most of my own bread

tassisssss Sat 15-Aug-09 15:51:36

i think we overspend on snacks for the kids - you know all those wee bags of mini biscuits etc. and as we often have a houseful they only last a minute. i'm going to revert to normal packets of biscuits and a big bag of raisins instead of boxes.

we have 2 adults, 3 kids under 7 and struggle to spend under £100 (only 1 bottle wine per week). I bake which I think is expensive and (as I said) we regularly have a houseful so tea/coffee/loo roll etc etc goes in the blink of an eye!

i feel a tightening of the belt coming upon me...starting Tuesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now