Talk

Advanced search

Right, I have a peice of salmon

(25 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 15:31:40

Message withdrawn

pasturesnew Thu 06-Aug-09 15:36:58

If you haven't eaten fish before I wouldn't try to eat the skin, it's full of vitamins and that but can be an acquired taste and lots of fish-eaters won't eat it.

I would just microwave or pan-fry it or over cook it (in foil) in butter and eat with green veg and potatoes. Salmon is great with dill or parsley if you have any around. It's also nice with:
- bacon and cream, although I would usually use trout for that;
- marinated in teriyake sauce, cooked in same way and eaten with rice.

Salmon has quite a distinctive (nice) flavour because it's oily so if you don't like it you might like to try a white fish such as cod or haddock instead next time.

Hope you like it.

JeMeSouviens Thu 06-Aug-09 15:37:14

mmm I don't worry about fish worms generally.

Don't eat the skin. you can bake it in the oven, wrapped in tin foil, sprinkle some lemon juice on and a herb of some description, and salt & pepper,

Or pan fry it with capers (my favourite way)

Or if you want it to go a bit further, make it into fishcakes? I have a simple recipe I think I can remember off the top of my head if you'd like it.

pasturesnew Thu 06-Aug-09 15:38:09

also no reason for there to be worms in it, I have never even heard of that happening! And the usual standard of filleting seems much better nowadays, so there shouldn't be any bones either.

VinegarTits Thu 06-Aug-09 15:38:29

Fish worms? why would you need to look for fish worms in a fillet of salmon? i think you just put me off fish for life <shudder>

I normally just bake it, season it first and rub a bit of olive oil, bake in the oven, i dont eat the skin

LIZS Thu 06-Aug-09 15:39:50

As long as it has been gutted and you rinse it it should be fine. You can cook it in the skin and remove before serving or as you eat or take the skin off beforehand. Gently grill or poach/bake in the oven in foil with lemon. Creme fraiche and watercress blitzed together make sa nice sauce. Beware it may still have the odd small bone even if a fillet.

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 15:43:47

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 15:44:51

Message withdrawn

HolidaysQueen Thu 06-Aug-09 15:56:38

can your DD eat pesto on her diet? delicious delia recipe which we do often as it is dead simple.

we have simplified it even further - don't use breadcrumbs and just spread pesto on top of salmon, sprinkle some parmesan on top and then bake.

lovely with rice or pasta or potatoes for you, or whatever your DD can have as carbs substitutes

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 16:01:03

Message withdrawn

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 16:12:07

simple recipe...put salmon in foil place 2/3 nobs of butter on each fillet,crushed black pepper/salt, bay leaf,sprinkle of chilli (optional), dash of soya sauce or squeeze of lemon, 2 table spoons of water..wrap up leave a little space above fillet ,make sure it's sealed..put in oven for about 10/15mins...you get a lovely little sauce eat with veg, i love mange tout/spinach/brocolli..but my DDs love carrots and petit pois

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 16:14:54

Don't worry bout worms ..extra protein grin

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 16:22:24

Message withdrawn

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 17:04:04

grin..there are no worms..but if you are worried and have brought fresh salmon that have lived in fresh water they may contain tapeworm larve - though very rare..you can stop contamination by freezing or cooking

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 17:07:33

Message withdrawn

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 17:13:14

well no worries then... get cooking lady! grin

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 17:19:19

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 06-Aug-09 17:23:55

You won't poison her, as long as it is cooked well. You will know that it is, as it will be soft all the way through, rather than 'fleshy' in places.

Happy eating!

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 17:38:49

it will be opaque all the way through and as Pav said it will 'give' no fleshy bits

sarah293 Thu 06-Aug-09 17:47:34

Message withdrawn

HolidaysQueen Fri 07-Aug-09 13:44:40

how did it go riven? did DD like the salmon?

sarah293 Fri 07-Aug-09 16:21:17

Message withdrawn

HolidaysQueen Sat 08-Aug-09 08:19:26

When did you buy it? Fish is usually at its best cooked within a day or so of buying, mainly because its taste deteriorates. If it starts to smell particularly fishy (it should smell of the sea, rather than of fish!) then I'd probably give it a miss. You could cook it now and serve it cold on Monday as part of a salad or sandwich type thing - cold salmon is delicious. I think cooking it now would probably give it an extra day or two in the fridge without it deteriorating in quality so much. Anyone else got a view on that?

sarah293 Sat 08-Aug-09 10:33:38

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sat 08-Aug-09 10:34:03

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now