Talk

Advanced search

What fruit do you buy for your family?

(13 Posts)
BertieBotts Sat 18-Jul-09 21:41:14

What fruit do you buy for the family in an average weekly shop? We all love fruit and must eat more (poor DS has been constipated this week for the first time since starting solids and I feel terrible because I didn't notice!) but I always find it expensive. Not sure if this is just me being stingy though and trying to cut "unnecessary" items out of the food bill.

wrinklytum Sat 18-Jul-09 21:43:19

Apples bananas pears grapes melons strawberries plums this week.

Go to aldi for their "Super six" fruit'n' veg deal,49p for each named fruit n veg!

lal123 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:43:38

usually we're pretty boring - bananas (about 10 - dd and dp each take one to work/school everyday), red apples, granny smiths, either oranges or pears, a melon, lemons and maybe some strawberries/blueberries or similar?

Tommy Sat 18-Jul-09 21:44:17

a lot of supermarkets have fruit in their "basics" range - apples, bananas, have bought kiwi at Sainsbuty's on their basic range recently. Buy seasonally and you will get better value as well

ilovetochat Sat 18-Jul-09 21:44:59

me, dp and dd(2).
i buy 6 bananas, 6 apples, 4 nectarines, 8 satsumas/clementines, bag of grapes, 1kg bag of raisins (plus the little boxes that dd takes out),
then either blueberries, kiwi or melon whichever is on offer.
its getting very expensive with the veg too.

giddykipper Sat 18-Jul-09 21:45:46

Apples, oranges and bananas because they are cheap, then whatever is on offer (generally strawberries at the moment)

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 21:46:38

grapes, bananas, apples are staples, usually we chuck in strawbs, blueberries the odd kiwi fruit, melons or oranges too. Use a lot of lime and lemon in flavouring various things, but obviously not to eat raw! we had some lovely cherries off the market last two weeks smile

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 18-Jul-09 21:47:23

Yes - go to aldi smile

I buy bananas, pears, apples, grapes, nectarines and strawberries. dh and I like melon, kiwi, cherries too. Aldi cherries have been 49p a punnet recently.

Bibithree Sat 18-Jul-09 21:49:26

I buy what they will eat every week:
bananas, apples, grapes
Then every other week I try and sneak in things like strawberries, blueberries, tangerines, pears - all of which are rejected in the same way every time, but I live in hope

feedthegoat Sat 18-Jul-09 21:52:06

Always have bananas and apples in along with strawberries in the summer. After that it's a combination of oranges, blueberries, raspberries, melon, mangos, Kiwis, peaches or grapes depending on what is on offer or what we fancy. Would probably buy 2 or 3 of above.

Ds does eat alot of fruit,in fact he eats most of it. I should eat more . As wrinklytum says Aldi is quite good for fruit and veg and luckily we are only 5 minutes walk from one.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 18-Jul-09 21:53:10

We are fortunate in that we get a good local organic box and this has 2-3 types of fruit weekly (e.g. 4 apples, 4 bananas and 8 fresh apricots this week)

I then "top up" with whatever is on offer, this week we had grapes, peaches (99p for 5 in Somerfield) and a small punnet of raspberries (again 99p for one) Occasionally (couple of tins a month) we get fruit tinned in juice. I also buy value juice and the dcs have it watered down (counts as one portion per day)

Veg (afaik) is higher in fibre than some fruit. If your dcs will eat them, carrots are cheap. My dd1 loves raw pepper and they both eat cucumber chunks.I sometimes forget that veg is good as a snack too.

6inchnipples Sat 18-Jul-09 21:57:44

I always buy about 4 or 5 dif things, usually what is on offer.

I have recently started buying tesco frozen summer fruits and forest fruits and my kids love eating them frozen as they are like little ice lollies!

BertieBotts Sat 18-Jul-09 22:20:05

Thanks everyone. We haven't got an Aldi, will just see what is on offer, just doing online shop now Happier to have an idea of "staples" that makes sense, and extra fruit whichever is on offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now