Talk

Advanced search

Any slow cooker fans out there want to convert me - I'm nearly buying one

(4 Posts)
HappyFamilies Wed 01-Jul-09 18:07:12

At weekend my SIL was raving about her slow cooker. So have been thinking about getting one. I'm a SAHM so I am around to cook but am anticipating a hectic time come Sept when ds1 starts school and ds2 is at pre-school and that being abl to prep dinner after school run would be big help. But have a few qus that I can't find answers to on net.

*Is it really safe to leave food cooking for that long? I know it must be I spose otherwise it wouldn't be so popular but it just seems wrong
* Is it ok to dish sprogs dinner up at say 4ish then leave ours in for another 3 hours? won't there be too little in the pot for it to work properly. r we all going to die from e-coli?
* any idea what it costs vs running a conventional oven. I already do a lot of stews etc so my oven is on for at least 2-3 hours 4 days a week. Would be easier to convince dh if i could show how much cheaper it is to run.

Thanks

hotbot Wed 01-Jul-09 19:14:04

tesco do them really cheap -they are fab and you can do loads of veggie recipes too cheaper to run as well

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 19:47:12

yes you need one!

makes cheap cuts of meat lovely and tender, yes you can serve food at 4 ish, pop it on 'keep warm' and take out as and when you need it.

I've done alsorts in mine, curries, stews, roasts. tis a great 'gadget' and the smell wafting through the house as it cooks is fab.

looky here for more info and recipes

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 19:49:45

this site is better (scroll down and they're all there)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now