Talk

Advanced search

Just what is healthy nowadays?

(19 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 14-Jun-09 13:22:59

Message withdrawn

TrillianAstra Sun 14-Jun-09 13:27:50

It is cals in vs cals out.

Any crazy diet plan is designed either to get you to reduce teh number of cals you take in (sometimes via doing weirdy things) or to reduce the cals that are actually absorbed.

FenellaFudge Sun 14-Jun-09 13:28:55

It is ultimately calories in and calories out.

All diets rely on this principle - but if you want to make a living out of telling people how to eat to lose weight you have to come up with a gimmick.

Atkins follows the principle because carbs are high energy - so of course cutting them cuts your calorie intake.

There are so many theories, some interesting ideas etc but yes, ultimately it comes down to calories in - calories out.

sarah293 Sun 14-Jun-09 13:40:26

Message withdrawn

LovelyTinOfSpam Sun 14-Jun-09 13:47:40

I read that the diet proscribed by Atkins is so full-on that people end up actually eating less calories without realising it, which is why they lose weight, rather than anything else.

For me Atkins looks all wrong - I worked with a really quite overweight woman and evey lunch she had fried sausage bacon and eggs. Because she was on a diet. It seemed really grim and felt all wrong IYSWIM.

applepudding Sun 14-Jun-09 20:38:43

In order to lose weight you need to spend more calories than you take in; all diet plans have a way of enabling you to do this whilst following their rules, hence weight watchers is basically calorie counting, atkins will fill you up due to the protein, and probably stabilise your blood sugar level but you'll also probably eat less overall because the diet is so restricted.

A healthy diet = low fat protein, low GI carbs, low fat dairy (unless you have allergies) plus plenty of fruit and veg.

sarah293 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:07:03

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 16:11:48

It's all calories in, calories out - the diets work by restricting your food choices so that you consume less

The only thing I like about Atkins is that it meant there were more food choices that didn't involve bread - as I'm coeliac, a thought out burger with no carbs is great.

puffylovett Mon 15-Jun-09 16:19:25

I might be wrong in saying this, but I thought the revised Atkins puts the emphasis on good fats, rather than sat fats ? ie eating avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds etc rather than relying on things like bacon and eggs.

The last and only time i tried the atkins, I only read the first few pages & got the idea I'd be living on bacon and eggs.

Agree with apple pudding - making sure everything you eat is as natural as possible, ie wholegrain, steering clear of refined products like pasta, eating tons of veg and good quality protein like fish, pulses and eggs is best way to go. Plus of course burning calories through exercise IMO

OrmIrian Mon 15-Jun-09 16:19:45

Atkins works. The theory being that starving your body of dietary carbs, you remove the most instant source of energy, therefore force it to burn stored fat. I have no idea if that is the truth but it works. It works partly because if you are a carb addict (as I am and many others are too) not being allowed them at all means that food is not a pleasure, just a source of nutrition, so you eat only when you need to.

It means I eat only when I'm hungry,which isn't often as the high-protein and fat content makes you feel very full. Food becomes almost an irrelevance.

However having tried it again for the last few weeks,for the first time in about 2 yrs, I have given up. It sapped me of energy, as I had expected,but to such an extent that I couldn't run. And running is my favourite activity now. If I had to lose heaps of weight I would persevere but as I don't I've knocked it on the head.

BonsoirAnna Mon 15-Jun-09 16:24:57

I base all my family meals around the principle of:

- one portion of protein
- one portion of carbohydrate
- two portions of vegetables
- a little fat
- fruit and/or yoghourt

For example, this evening we are having chargrilled chicken (protein) with bulghour, to which I will add onions, broad beans, pine nuts, pistachios and sultanas, and a little butter.

For pudding we are having strawberries.

sarah293 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:25:04

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Mon 15-Jun-09 16:29:05

I don't know riven. I was losing weight whilst eating cheese and cream and meat with fat on it. Does she drink plenty of water?

If you are going to add carbs I'd start with low-GI stuff like pasta, oats, brown rice and lentils first.

OhBling Mon 15-Jun-09 16:33:53

Any diet for children should definitely not involve cutting anything out (unless they have allergies etc of course).

A low carb diet for children is unlikely to help and I would imagine a relatively active child would replace the carbs with high fat proteins which would not be good.

portion control and balance is very important - eating carbs is necessary, but... we no longer work in the fields for 12 hours a day so don't need to volume of carbs that our ancestors did.

Overall, carbs that are low gi - ie they get absorbed more slowly - are better as they keep you full for longer and are less likely to conveert to sugar. Potatoes, whole grain rice and pasta etc. The more processed it is, the less likely it is to be good for you. So wholemeal pasta is good, but would need to be an appropriate sized portion and should not be served with a rich cream sauce.

sarah293 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:38:47

Message withdrawn

OhBling Mon 15-Jun-09 16:48:52

Aaah, okay that make sense.

I imagine the weight gain means she's getting more calories than she burns? I don't know anything about Ketogenic diets though I'm afraid, sorry!

zanz1bar Mon 15-Jun-09 19:16:28

on a different note i luuuurve the fact that tomato ketchup is now a super food, all that lypocene.
Smother dc food with it now, yum, yum.

uberalice Mon 15-Jun-09 19:28:52

There was a documentary on TV recently called something like "The truth about weight loss". Some recent research has shown that although calories in calories out is broadly right, a diet high in dairy calcium will help your body flush away more fat. They had Alex James (from Blur) on as a guinea pig. The first week he ate no dairly at all. The second week he ate a high-dairy diet, but exactly the same number of calories and grammes of fat over all. They were tested all his stool samples and found that the samples in the second week contained more fat. So the conclusion was that a diet high in low fat dairy is a good one.

applepudding Mon 15-Jun-09 20:55:17

Riven - I think that it is probably that Atkins works for adults who have quite a lot of weight to lose, so if, for example, they have a calorie intake of 1800 per day, then they lose weight because this is less than their body needs if they are, for example 15 stone because somebody that heavy has higher calorie needs just to keep them going.

If your dd is a lot smaller then she would have a much lower calorie need to keep her going, particularly if she doesn't exercise much, so 1800 cals a day would let her put weight on

(figs are just plucked out of the blue to demonstrate an example)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now