Talk

Advanced search

Need to make an Engine (Thomas) birthday cake for 4 yr old daughter - any recipes/ideas?

(7 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 02-Jun-09 23:53:11

Hi there, my dd1 is 4 on Sunday and is train mad, for the last 2 birthdays she has wanted a train cake - we have had Thomas and last year, James. I have made the engine itself out of swiss roll and sponge then iced it. I kind of want to do something a bit different this year - has anyone got any ideas?

She loves all the Thomas trains, I was maybe thinking about a train in a landscape (God that sounds ambitious!).

ClaudiaSchiffer Wed 03-Jun-09 01:10:14

Bump

ClaudiaSchiffer Wed 03-Jun-09 09:46:39

Bumping at a more possible time of day to glean a reply!

bagpuss Wed 03-Jun-09 09:54:33

You could make a cake and ice it in plain white and then use coloured icing for whatever sort of picture you want on the top. I did this for ds2's 2nd birthday with a picture from the cbeebies website which I turned into a cardboard template, and then mixed more of the icing with food colouring to make the various parts of the character. You could also do a landscape by making the icing on the cake green (for fields) and then ice a track across the top, then using some more ready to roll icing, colour it and make it into a train and carriages (would be easy to do as just like plasticine).

ClaudiaSchiffer Wed 03-Jun-09 10:15:12

oo thanks bagpuss, great idea for the green cake + icing train - is it easy to mix the colour in to ready made icing do you know?

bagpuss Wed 03-Jun-09 10:32:32

I did with some white but you can also buy ready coloured icing (supercook I think) which had a guide on the back for mixing certain colours using the ones in the pack. Ds2's cake is the pic on my profile if it's still there - put it on when I made it so rather old!

trixymalixy Wed 03-Jun-09 10:38:41

Have you seen the train cake tins in Lakeland?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now