Talk

Advanced search

How do you mange meal times with 2 dc and a new baby?

(4 Posts)
ilovesummer Fri 29-May-09 20:05:24

Just wondering how people manage evening meals? Until recently we all ate together when dh came in from work at 5.45. We have ds2 now who is 3 weeks old and he takes ages to get down for the evening, like most newborns. So I'm thinking that i might feed the dc at 5 and then eat with my dh when the children are in bed.

So what do I cook, I really don't want to cook 2 different meals. I'd love some suggestions as to meals that are easy to do that can be reheated/ sit in the oven etc.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Fri 29-May-09 20:24:56

The slow cooker is a great help, I think. When I had three children under six I devised a cooking schedule that helped a lot too. I can't remember all of it but it involved every Tuesday being a pasta day and every Thursday being soup, sandwich, salad day. Left over night was Friday, we went out on Saturday and Dad cooked on Sunday-most important. Anyway, it helped having a routine as I didn't have to think as much about what to make-I needed the framework I guess with the three under my feet!

ilovesummer Mon 01-Jun-09 14:45:30

Thank you. I do have a slowcooker which never sees the light of day. I think I'll look up some recipes an give it a go, would be a good way to avoid cooking with all 3 under foot.

misshardbroom Mon 01-Jun-09 17:19:36

I do this more or less every day: lots of casseroles, shepherd's pie (make enough for the family but make 2 small ones instead of one big one), fish pie, make a pasta sauce that can do 2 sittings.

Only problem is that it gets really really boring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now