Talk

Advanced search

How long do you soak dried pulses for?

(8 Posts)
AliceTheCamelHasGotTheHump Wed 28-Jan-09 19:19:43

Or do you not soak them at all shock??

I want to make the switch from tinned pulses to dried. Tell me your soaking habits.

nowwearefour Wed 28-Jan-09 19:20:39

overngiht if i am organised. otherwise if i remember at breakfast i would be willing to cook with them in the evening. quite a few hours. i think it needs to be 8 or something?

AliceTheCamelHasGotTheHump Wed 28-Jan-09 19:24:11

I don't soak rice or lentils at all.

I think you have to soak chickpeas and various beans though (blackeye, pinto, butter etc). No?

SweetEm Wed 28-Jan-09 19:49:26

I have referenced Rose Elliot for you

There are 2 ways to soak pulses:

Long, cold soak - 4-8 hours or overnight

Short, hot soak - Wash the pulses, put in pan with plenty of cold water, bring to boil. Boil vigorously for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat, cover pan with lid and leave to soak for 45-60 mins.

SweetEm Wed 28-Jan-09 19:50:59

Also worth remembering that you can freeze cooked pulses smile

Lemontart Wed 28-Jan-09 19:52:42

Overnight in cold water. But make sure they are in a much bigger bowl as they swell up more than you think (recent chickpea disaster...)

AliceTheCamelHasGotTheHump Thu 29-Jan-09 04:01:21

Cheers m'dears. Will crack on with the dried pulses.

foxytocin Thu 29-Jan-09 04:49:39

I soak red(kidney) beans overnight. would do the same with any other sort of beans.

they taste much better if you boil them yourself and they freeze really well so you can make a huge pot and freeze in handy portions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now