Talk

Advanced search

can you use brown lentils...

(6 Posts)
elliott Wed 15-Oct-08 13:36:29

..to bulk out mince recipes? Or would it taste odd?
I have a load of brown lentils in the larder and need ideas what to make. I'd like to do a vegetarian moussaka with them but wondered whether if I made it with a bit of added lamb's mince for flavour, would the two textures be a bit strange?

Carmenere Wed 15-Oct-08 13:37:44

Nope it would be lovely. go for it.

hoarsewhisperer Wed 15-Oct-08 14:18:30

i do this all the time, especially in things like sheperds pie and lasagne. My dh professes to not really like lentils, but he has never noticed them lurking in these dishes. i also add lots of carrots, mushrooms and so on to buulk out. If it doesn't taste meaty enough for you - just add a stock cube

elliott Wed 15-Oct-08 14:41:03

Yes but with brown lentils? I can see that red lentils would just mush into the gravy, but brown will stay quite textured.
Maybe I'd better just try it grin

hoarsewhisperer Wed 15-Oct-08 15:33:41

no - i use the brown ones.....mind you they are soaked first and are the tiny little ones...othersie cook them seperately, then mashe them up before adding - you'll honestly never notice

docket Wed 15-Oct-08 15:37:15

I always bulk out mince meals with lentils. I think the texture of the brown ones is nice. Try it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: