Talk

Advanced search

So how do I bake risotto?

(10 Posts)
snooks Mon 06-Oct-08 13:56:01

In an attempt to take my mind off my General Anaesthetic thread my thoughts turn to cooking and food. I want to bake the risotto instead of the constant stirring thing in a big pan. Was thinking of using bacon and butter beans and lots of parmesan. Normally use about 8oz of rice.

What do I do differently? Can I just bung it all in a dish like a rice pudding? (Would fry the bacon first).

Any advice is very welcome smile

sprogger Mon 06-Oct-08 14:02:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snooks Mon 06-Oct-08 14:32:06

thanks sprogger, I will give it a go I think, it sounds a bit more hands-off.

Brangelina Mon 06-Oct-08 14:39:37

There is a recipe where you bake rice, it's called tiella and is rice layered with veg/meat/fish. You just put all the ingredients (raw) in awell oiled casserole dish or cake tin, then pour over about 1/2 litre of stock, top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese and cook at 180°C for about 45 mins - 1hr, checking occasionally that it's not got too dry (in that case add extra water).

snooks Mon 06-Oct-08 15:08:18

brangelina that sounds good, does it get creamy like risotto or do you not use arborio rice?

MamaG Mon 06-Oct-08 15:09:39

snooks google delia'a oven baked risotto
tis v good
i can't link as have to dsah off

snooks Mon 06-Oct-08 15:16:17

thanks mamag, will do that. why didn't i think of delia? [duh]

Brangelina Mon 06-Oct-08 15:20:19

You do use arborio or similar Italian short grain risotto rice, so it still is quite pudding like, but it does turn out a little bit drier than risotto. You can always up the liquid a little if you want the creaminess. Generally it's made with 3 staple ingredients - potatoes, onions and the rice, then whatever else you fancy on top of that. A total stodgfest but lovely when it's cold outside.

flowerybeanbag Mon 06-Oct-08 15:20:53

ovenbaked risotto, fab recipe, dead easy

snooks Mon 06-Oct-08 16:28:38

flowerybeanbag, your recipe is even easier than delia's, think my offering is a mix of the two tbh (i never follow a recipe to the letter, always deviate). Right, it's in the oven (eating early tonight). Bring on the comfort food!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: