Talk

Advanced search

Talk organic to me.

(6 Posts)
ComeOVeneer Fri 26-Sep-08 16:29:53

I buy organic where possible. However a friend I was talking to this morning says her sister (admittedly a vegetarian, but not sure that matters)says that organic meat/poultry and therefore dairy is a no-no because they don't treat them for worms and other infestations/illnesses as they can't give them antibiotics and other medication. So we should buy "free-range" instead. Is this total twaddle or is there some truth in this?

WowOoo Fri 26-Sep-08 16:42:10

Yep, think there is some truth in this.

Was article in Times and Observer a while back. But, I forget the facts... Also articles in Ecologist online, perhaps.

But, we cook meat so must be ok, no? (am thinking about how rare my roast was a few weeks ago and worrying now). Chicken always well cooked so that's OK. Beef free range anyway. But eggs, organic eggs taste so much nicer.

A veg friend said to me that I shouldn't eat carrots raw if organic as may be parasites in them. I carried on munching away and am still here to tell the tale so...

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 16:43:31

Message withdrawn

ComeOVeneer Fri 26-Sep-08 16:44:18

Yes beef does concern me most now, as I have mine rare when doing roast and "blue" for steak (actually I pretty much just wave my steak at the pan then eat it grin)

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 16:50:12

Message withdrawn

ComeOVeneer Fri 26-Sep-08 17:02:12

So which is better for us overall then organic or not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now