Talk

Advanced search

BORED OF FISH...

(26 Posts)
KarisTiasMum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:04:27

DH is on a very strict diet and excercise programme at the moment to get back to fitness after rejoining the army... so v.important to keep it up!

he is currently eating lots of fruit and veg, low carbs and mainly fish (steamed or poached) at every mealtime, and as you can imagine... getting pretty sick of it! he loves steak and red meat but its generally too high in calories and fat..

any ideas, recipes snack ideas?... unusual fish/meats!? he needs a bit of variety or it makes the whole thing ten times harder!

combustiblelemon Wed 03-Sep-08 22:20:07

Can he eat nuts and olive oil?

combustiblelemon Wed 03-Sep-08 22:31:21

As for meat, British rose veal is lower in fat and it's raised to high animal welfare standards- the calves are born as a result of dairy farming and if the're not eaten here they're transported to mainland Europe which has lower welfare standards for veal calves.

For fish, have you tried using 'meatier' fish like tuna cooked in a griddle pan with a spray of oil. You can buy little spray bottles specially made for this or just put oil into a cheap plastic spray bottle- that way you use less oil.

fourlittlefeet Wed 03-Sep-08 22:35:16

thai fishcakes - light but spicy and tasty.
prawn curry
Fish kebabs
Banana leaf steamed fish parcels
Poached fish in noodle soup
steamed Prawn dim sum
cider poached fish

think you should get a thai style cookery book and the Hugh fish book. loads of ideas!

Isn't turkey low fat too? You could do things like fajitas. yum.

KarisTiasMum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:43:34

he loves thai food actually, and i have a thai friend who could help me with those! i havent really ventured into thai food tbh as i thought is was all going to be super high calories! great suggestions though?

turkey is low fat!? i didnt know that, will start to use that too..

can i get british rose veal in most supermarkets? have never cooked veal.. do i just grill it like a normal steak? the meat and fish counter and our local tesco is rubbish, crap selection.. and everything seems to have flavours and rubs all over them..

yes he can eat nuts and olive oil too... we tried tuna steaks a few weeks ago but i am not sure what i did to them as they smelt and tasted fowl! normally fairly successful with cooking.. but that has put me off cooking tuna a bit! might give it another shot though..

any ideas for recipes with nuts in, he loves nuts, but i cant say i have ever cooked with them!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 03-Sep-08 22:45:12

But nuts are very high in calories!

Pork fillet or fillet steak are relatively low in calories, if he likes red meat.

KarisTiasMum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:49:37

are all nuts high? could be where he goes wrong, he snacks on nuts quite a bit..

i just want to try some different flavours and things for him, i am just teriible and finding ideas and he ends up with super healthy but super boring meals! steamed fish... steamed veg... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

thumbwitch Wed 03-Sep-08 22:49:49

Game. Venison, rabbit, pheasant, partridge.

Turkey is relatively low fat, yes.

Fresh tuna needs rapid searing, only about 2-3 mins each side or it is disgusting.

Nuts and seeds might have high fat content but it is the sort of fat that benefits your own fat turnover, unlike the saturated fats in meats. Coudl try vegetarian nutloaf - have never tried it myself but it always looks good on tv!

KarisTiasMum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:51:14

i should have rephrased my conversation title... 'bored of boring fish' because all these other ides sound great! i am clearly just not adventurous enough!

KarisTiasMum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:54:08

i steamed the tuna! arghhh fowl!
where is a good place to buy game?

thumbwitch Wed 03-Sep-08 23:05:25

bleugh! I can imagine...

I get my game mostly from a farmer's market but sometimes Waitrose will sell gamebirds and even venison. If you can't find a farmer's market near you, ask at your local butcher if they know how you can get hold of e.g. venison (which is lovely if you haven't had it!)

combustiblelemon Wed 03-Sep-08 23:10:57

For nuts I was thinking of toasted pine nuts scattered over grilled fish to add flavour and texture or cashew nuts with stir fried veg. As for the oil, I sometimes marinate fish before cooking.

1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of one lemon
1 or 2 garlic cloves crushed
salt and pepper
and either

1 and 1/2 teaspoons of fresh thyme/oregano

or

1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Grind up the garlic and herbs/spice with some salt in a mortar and pestle, then add some pepper and the lemon juice. Rub the mixture over the fish, then drizzle the olive oil over the top. Leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

thumbwitch Thu 04-Sep-08 01:20:16

Found this website for you - UK-wide distribution of game, not too expensive from what I've seen (just skimmed a few prices)

KarisTiasMum Thu 04-Sep-08 18:55:17

excellent thanks will take a look on there! ... i went into the local butchers today.. not a great help and wont be getting any game in for a motnh or so... got some lovely lean pork though.. how is duck? high in fat or ok?

there are no farmers markets that i know of around here, will have a look online though..and not a waitrose either!
i am going to move house... ha!

fourlittlefeet Thu 04-Sep-08 20:09:52

for thai cooking the very best cookbook is Vatch: this is my favourite book of his

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Sep-08 20:12:26

KAris yes all nuts are very high in calories. ! cashew is about 50 calories for example.

KarisTiasMum Thu 04-Sep-08 21:08:55

one cashew!!!??? 50 calories! wow! thanks for book link flf....

Othersideofthechannel Thu 04-Sep-08 21:13:55

Fourlittlefeet - I like the sound of cider poached fish, can you provide more info.
Combustible lemon, after you've marinated the fish would you fry or steam?

combustiblelemon Thu 04-Sep-08 22:31:41

Othersideofthechannel, I tend to grill or fry (hot pan, hardly any oil.)

thumbwitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:03:19

Duck is pretty high in fat if you use the skin, but the flesh of it isn't too fatty. The fat in duck tends to be more unsaturated than saturated and therefore better than, say, beef fat or lard.

thumbwitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:04:54

BTW< do you have any idea what your DH's daily calorie intake is, and what his requirement is? Because if he is training hard, you don't want to limit the calories too much or it will be counter-productive.

SunshineSmith Thu 04-Sep-08 23:05:10

www.bbc.co.uk/food

great for recipe... just type a few ingredients and it gives you lots of ideas!

Othersideofthechannel Fri 05-Sep-08 05:08:16

Thanks
My favourite fish recipe is loaded with cream so won't be posting it here!

fourlittlefeet Fri 05-Sep-08 19:02:49

To be honest I don't have a fish cider recipe, but did this sort of thing or just replace cider for white wine in things like fish pie!

KarisTiasMum Fri 05-Sep-08 20:52:30

thumbwitch... are we going completely wrong with super training and lowering calories!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now