Talk

Advanced search

Green lentils, recipe ideas please....

(13 Posts)
toadette Wed 06-Aug-08 15:26:50

Just discovered a bag of green lentils when clearing out storecupboard. Not sure what to make with them as I would normally use red lentils instead. Any ideas please (they are no need to soak ones)?

Thanks, toadette

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 15:28:19

I'm getting dejavu.

hang on a sec while I have a shufti...

witchandchips Wed 06-Aug-08 15:29:35

they make great warm salads to have with lamb or sausages. Cook and these toss in olive oil + herbs

use as red lentils but will get a slightly different texture. I find them much tastier and less gaggy unless i want a smooth dahl or something like that

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 15:29:45

here you go

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 15:30:42

some good ideas here too

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 15:31:32

and more

seb1 Wed 06-Aug-08 15:41:04

Not tried it but thought it looked nice Vegetarian shepherd?s pie

toadette Wed 06-Aug-08 15:43:36

Oops, should have done a search first [slaps own wrist], thanks for links to other threads Overmydeadbody. Some really yummy recipes, will definitely try some out.

Will try them in salad too, witch and chips, with from herbs from garden.

Are green lentils the same of puy lentils then?

toadette Wed 06-Aug-08 15:45:24

Thanks to seb1 too.

witchandchips Wed 06-Aug-08 15:45:26

no puy lentils are a bit smaller and greeney blue, while most green olive are wider and flatter with a more olive hue
but you can substitute green for puy lentils in most recipies.

HolidaysQueen Wed 06-Aug-08 15:46:12

pan fry some chopped garlic, onion, celery and carrot until soft. add the lentils, bay leaf, thyme. add some veg stock (the pack should tell you how much water you need for the lentils). cook until lentils are tender.

this is really nice with a piece of poached or pan fried cod and some green veg, and it is really healthy too!

alternatively it is great with sausages (i posted about sausages yesterday and ended up making something very similar to catrin's suggestion on here

toadette Wed 06-Aug-08 20:34:46

Thanks Holidaysqueen smile

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:40

Cook and drain. Mix vinaigrette and thin red onion through. Add crumbled fetta, walnuts and thyme. Great with lamb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now